• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 8.8 difference V6-V8

lgorman00

NAXJA Forum User
Is there any difference between the V8 and the V6 axle on a ford 8.8?
Because the local junk yard is charging more for the V8 Axle?

Dont quote me. But I dont think there is any difference. Unless it is spline count. But I have a V6 8.8 in my rig with the larger 31 spline shafts.

FWIW
Brian

The only difference might be the gearing you get with the 6 vs the 8. 3.55, 3.73, 4.11 are common gear ratios of the Ford 8.8 with 3.73 being seen alot. If you plan on getting a detroit or other full fledged locker and/or regear it than get the cheapest Ford 8.8 you can find, you are going to change it anyways.

I've got a v8 and a v6 8.8 the only difference is the v8 has some type of traction bars on the housing that you'll just have to cut off so I'd just get the v6.

I heard on the internet (so it must be true) that the V8 has a larger center pin in the carrier.

Lawn Cher' said:
I heard on the internet (so it must be true) that the V8 has a larger center pin in the carrier.

it is true. Had a guy come into the shop about 2 months ago, and ONLY wanted the 8 cyl ones for just that reason.

I've seen em', and can verify that its true.

Back