• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedometer puzzle

MarkdaleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My speedo/odo quit a couple of weeks ago so I checked for codes and got the #15 I expected to see. After 2 trips to the dealer to get the right part I replaced the VSS and checked the codes again. The #15 is gone but still no speedo or cruise control. All the wiring looks good from what I can tell so right now I'm stumped :dunno:

How's the speedo drive gear?

Eagle said:
How's the speedo drive gear?

DUH, you know what, I never even checked it. It would be a really nasty coincidence if the gear were broken at the same time as the sensor but that would be my luck. Sometimes it feels like hasta .

Actually I will be in the market for a new(er) XJ, hopefully a 96 since this 93 is living on borowed time. I took a good look at the underbody when I changed the sensor and I'm surprised this pig has not snapped in half from the rust. Great in the front, fair to poor in the back and F***ED in the middle...I mean rust through on the seams of the "frame". Looks like its going to be retired up north as a tractor until the body breaks but at least it is a very strong runner so the parts will be used up quickly on the next one. And to think, I just bought it new balljoints and tires and this is how it treats me?

Last edited:
Had same thing happen on '98XJ & '94YJ. Common problem, my fix was the same for both gauge clusters. Maybe it'll help U. Remove gauge cluster and re-tighten (don't over-tighten) small Phillips-head screws on back of contacts. if there is any corrosion (due to water drips...) clean that off first with some isopropyl alcohol, then tighten screws.

Eagle, I checked and the gear is good...we can rule that out. MarkH, I tried your fix, no corrosion but all the screws were a bit loose...and it still didn't work :dunno: . I checked the codes again and as far as that goes it just spit out 55 and that's it.

I guess it is time to dig a bit deeper into the problem. BTW, I just noticed today that my DRLs don't work either and I'm wondering if there is some sort of power/logic connection between the two circuits???

Back