• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CPS Thanx

8Mud

NAXJA Forum User
XJ started failing to fire at start up, seemed pretty sporatic at first, got worse, seemed worse when it was hot. CPS tested good, both tests, ohm and pulse.
First (acutally second if grands count) CPS replacement. Sure sounded like what I´d read in the posts.
Pretty painless replacemnt. going straight to the problem without all the head scratching was really nice.
Thanx for the info.
Next question, would it really hurt anything to bypass the C-101 connector on my Renix and wire it straight into the harness, near where it goes through the firewall. Is the change in impedance gonna cause any problems?
Don´t know if it was related or not, but the CPS, started acting up, right after I`d washed off the back of the motor, after replacing my valve cover gasket. The CPS looks water proof, but who knows for sure.

Yep, many people hard-wire the CPS, and delete the plug-in. If you do this, I'd recommend that you solder the wire ends, and seal them with something waterproof, such as silicone. There'll be no change in impedance, although resistance might be much less, which is a good thing.

I'll bet the motor washing did have something to do with it......maybe cold water on a warm sensor......or maybe some moisture entered the wiring plug???

I washed my 98's engine bay for the first time two weeks ago, 8AM, engine was cold, used the orange scented stuff and wet the engine down lightly, sprayed and then went after it with one of those round stiff parts brushes. Once it was done I then rinsed it off with the hose sprayer, set on a fine mist till I got all the stuff off. Repeated that 2x more till I was satisfied and it was all clean. Then I let the XJ sit right where it was parked with the hood as far open as I could get it, let the sun do the work for the next 7 hours till all the water evaporated from the intake manifold. Prior to that I used to only do it when the engine was hot so it would evaporate faster but I gotta wonder if the steam that a hot engine gives off works it's way into the connectors much more efficiently while cold water and cleaner does not. I also cleaned all the connectors, got em wet, brushed em, rinsed them and let em dry.
I wanted that whole bay completely dry before I even considered putting any juice thru the wires so I planned on not going anywhere that entire day.

Back