• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which low budget shocks?????

Agent9

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 3" lift on my '96. My current shocks are going, one is already blown and leaking. I don't know what brand they are since they were on there when I bought it.
Should I go woith Rancho 5000 series or ProComp ES9000 series?
Yes, Id like to go with some EMUs but I cant afford them right now.
Thanks

ill pay you to get rid of my ProCraps'

might save a few more $$$ and buy real shocks....

Heh-heh!....
I guess that rules out the pro comps then. :)

I've been looking around online at the Doesch Tech shocks. I think Im going to give them a shot since it looks like they can be had for under $200.

Doesn't Rancho own Pro Comp? I wonder how different they really are... What about Rubicon Express's Twin Tube shocks? I know Monroe's get good marks from guys here w/ stock height. Maybe they offer one's for 3"??

I've got the ProComp ES9000's on mine. I've had them on for about a year. If you like kind of a stiff ride, then get em. I did notice that the ride did feel a lot more stable after putting them on, especially on the highway. I've never ridden on any other shocks besides stock, and I will say they are better than stock. But Im also 18, so i could really give a rats @ss about how the jeep rides! Theyre gonna get replaced in a week though by doetsch techs when my RE 4.5" comes in! Can't Wait!

Doesch Tech from RE. They are $37/ea and decent. I agree that Pro Comp 3000's suck. Rancho 5000's aren't too bad, but DT's from RE are probably your best cheap shock.

my rancho 5000's served me well.

Most of these basic shocks are made at the same facility (Monroe/Tenneco) and are POS', relatively speaking. Get the cheapest ones until you can afford what you want.

Why do you all hate procomps so much, i got the ES3000's on mine and love em. They ride like a tank but it makes it feel stable. Also as for being cheap shocks they seem to outlast the other cheap shock options out there, including the skycrappers. Most of my friends that put shocks from other manufatcurers on their rigs that were in the same price range had them rust in about a year (no boots). I have been running my procomps for about a year and a half without boots and they have zero rust on them and still ride like when i put them on.

1990XJ4x4 said:
Why do you all hate procomps so much, i got the ES3000's on mine and love em. They ride like a tank but it makes it feel stable. Also as for being cheap shocks they seem to outlast the other cheap shock options out there, including the skycrappers. Most of my friends that put shocks from other manufatcurers on their rigs that were in the same price range had them rust in about a year (no boots). I have been running my procomps for about a year and a half without boots and they have zero rust on them and still ride like when i put them on.

i have procomp ES300's too...3" lift and 31s and it doesnt bother me. it could possibly be that im 17 and dont know any better...

Back