• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone sleeve their tie rod or drag link?

barillms

NAXJA Forum User
My stock tie rod bend yesterday. It was drivable home, but to keep this from happening again, and to keep me from spending $400 on an aftermarket unit - I want to sleeve my tie rod with some steel tubing. Anyone do this? If so, how'd it go? Did it work as planned?

My tie rod is sleeved with angle iron, forgot what size but its two pieces together sort of like a diamond around the tie rod, maybe 1" angle?

$400? I'm assuming you mean for a complete HD steering setup, such as Currie's. I got my Big Daddy HD tie rod for $64. Good thing I did, as I took a big hit on the tie rod on the Rubicon last month. Barely left a mark. Would've destroyed a stock tie rod. Two other guys in our group bent their stock tie rods.

Granted, I'm still running a stock drag link, but that's not AS vulnerable to rocks as the tie rod.

Dad and I did that on his '88 more than 10 years ago, as far as I know it when to the boneyard with the sleeve on it when Dad totaled it after hitting a patch of ice on a bridge in late '97 on his way to work.

I did sleeve mine withe some 1.25" OD x .120 wall DOM I had lying around . While I doesnt fit tightly I drilled some holes in and bung welded it. My OEM tie rod isnt bent at all so I just figured I try it till I can get the scratch for the bid daddy rod. Ihad one on my last rig and the thing was very sturdy I would definitly recommend it. I will be puttin one on this rig also and keep my sleeved one for a spare. I am gonna run it till I bend it though..

108_0879.JPG

108_0880.JPG

Last edited:
probably not on the newer tie rod end - though you may want to look into a new front driveshaft...

This is an off topic question, but why not put the tie rod on top of the knuckle? Might have to be adjusted, but it seems like it wouldnt affect anything in my small brain. :laugh3: Or am I just being stupid?

Starboard M said:
This is an off topic question, but why not put the tie rod on top of the knuckle? Might have to be adjusted, but it seems like it wouldnt affect anything in my small brain. :laugh3: Or am I just being stupid?

TRE's are retained by their taper and the hole being tapered at the same angle - thats why they are a pain in the ASS to get out sometimes...

to flip the tie rod over - you need to drill out that taper and taper it from the otherside with a bigger reamer, and run a bigger TRE - OR put the goforit off road flip kit in:
http://www.goferitoffroad.com/products.htm

check the Tie Rod flip inserts deal...

I think that he is refering to the picture becuase I believe that the shadow from the draglink or trac bar is blocking the view of it so he thinks it isn't there. I can kinda make something out between the oil pan and steering stab.

Back