• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flexplate Q

Bones

NAXJA Forum User
I need a new flexplate. Found mine to be toast tonight. This is probably where my engine rattle was all along. The cam bearings were something I found while looking for the problem.
The center section of the plate that is positioned behind the reinforcement piece is completely separated from but contained within the rest of the flexplate. It will rotate about .05*, but it is interlocked in position. I'll try to get pics up.

I originally missed seeing that it was bad because a small amount of oil and dirt had built up there around he reinforcement plate and it wasn’t until I washed it off that the crack was visible.

Now my Q:
Does anyone make an after market flexplate for the 4.0, or is this a stealership product only?
I can't find a store locally that even lists the FP for 4.0.

Thanks,
Bones :skull1:
NAXJA #6

Dealer or Parts Yard

I just looked thru the Crown Automotive catalog and they don't list any AT parts - manuals & clutches - yes.
Dealer or parts yard is the source - I put a used one on the stroker after checking it for cracks with the "crack check" (dyecheck) kit.

High mileage stockers develop the same problem - bought several with "bad motor" and after installing a used wheel they run fine!

Crown does make it -- I know because I recently bought one for an '88 XJ and installed it. They use the same part numbers as Jeep. What year is your XJ -- Renix or HO version is all that counts. If you can't find it locally, I'll hook you up with my dealer -- they sell Crown stuff on request to good customers who need to save coin (like me).

Eagle,
Thanks for the offer, but I am desperate to get this motor back in ASAP. I ordered one at the stealership today ($95).
I even had to supply my own tube of KY :eek: .

Bones :skull1:
NAXJA #6

$95 isn't a bad price. The Crown unit cost me $65 and I buy enough parts that I get trade pricing.

Back