• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is my fuel pump going...

XJeffro

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if i am dealing with a straight fuel pump problem...
here are the symptoms:
when i try to start it in the morning, it seems like it is about to stall, unless i give it a little gas while simultaneously starting it.

if i turn the key from 'off' to 'on' 3 times (which seems to 'prime?' the pump), it works perfectly with no stalling at all. i can hear the pump come on every time i turn the key to 'on'.

Does this sound like the pump or some other problem? Could this be a battery starting to go? (i have heard batteries will do strange things when they start to die out)

XJ is a 95 with no engine mods, 96,000 miles, and the fuel filter was changed last summer.

bump...
any ideas?

My wifes was doing pretty much the same thing, I sprayed a little oil into the IAC opening inside the TB with the motor running and lightly working the throttle. It went away for a few days then came back. Did a repeat with the oil and it´s been doing fine for a couple fo months now. I figured my IAC piston was sticking.
I also thought it was a fuel problem, but decided to try the easy stuff first.

Back