• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thoughts on Currie Rock Jock 60

rockwerks

NAXJA Forum User
currie rock jock

What is your guys thoughts on this. Alum center section has me worried

Or should I jsut go with a proven hp60 rear also

currie hp 60

I jsut purchased a tera HP60 with dual piston 11" discs, 35 spline, arb, 4.88's, 5 x 5.5, 1 1/2 ton steering, hydro assist, and 3 link brakcets for the front of the 2001 xj project and am lookin for a comparable axle for the back.

David Taylor said:
I would go with a currie housing and a true hi9

That was my original thought but the 35 spline ARB is back orderd indefinately, atleast till end of august, This guy is gonna want his rig by then

What tires/size are you running? With 37's and up I'd suggest getting 5.38 gears in that hp60, the lowest you can go. With the overdrive in your XJ, you will be under 3K RPMs at 80 MPH, I know because I just drove back from San Diego with my XJ on 37" MTRs and 5.43 gears in my Ford 9". Sounds like a nice axle you got there. What's the wms to wms? I'd suggest a 9" from Currie with the good stuff. I would have gotten their housing for my rig if I would have seen how reasonably priced it was. I have a stock f-150 65" wms to wms one with most of the fixins. :)

Troy

61" WMS, was custom built for a grand cherokee looks like I need to play with the bracketry a bit kinda sloppy on the drivers side

Im thinking irok 36's gonna stay with the 4.88's this guy is not gonna go on the road often, and with the 5.0 atlas II gearing will not be a problem

(you mentioned that the 35spline 9" ARB is backordered, but for the sake of discussion....)

Is there really any advantage of the RockJock over a TrueHi9? The aluminum center is lightweight, but the 9 is probably just as light, and you can get the Hi9 in aluminum if you really want. They are both high-pinion, the 9" pinion is higher, the gear strength difference is insignificant (right?). Better clearance on the 9. What's the price difference?

I've seen the RockJock 60s on the trail, and they do have good clearance and were holding up fine to 40" MTRs and LT1s, but I really think the TrueHi9 is the best thing going for 35-42" tires.

BrettM said:
(you mentioned that the 35spline 9" ARB is backordered, but for the sake of discussion....)

Is there really any advantage of the RockJock over a TrueHi9? The aluminum center is lightweight, but the 9 is probably just as light, and you can get the Hi9 in aluminum if you really want. They are both high-pinion, the 9" pinion is higher, the gear strength difference is insignificant (right?). Better clearance on the 9. What's the price difference?

I've seen the RockJock 60s on the trail, and they do have good clearance and were holding up fine to 40" MTRs and LT1s, but I really think the TrueHi9 is the best thing going for 35-42" tires.

the price will be around 3800 with the true hi 9 chunk with arb and 4.88's with the currie extreme duty housing with 35 spline axles and disc brakes

Big Red said:
What tires/size are you running? With 37's and up I'd suggest getting 5.38 gears in that hp60, the lowest you can go. With the overdrive in your XJ, you will be under 3K RPMs at 80 MPH, I know because I just drove back from San Diego with my XJ on 37" MTRs and 5.43 gears in my Ford 9". Sounds like a nice axle you got there. What's the wms to wms? I'd suggest a 9" from Currie with the good stuff. I would have gotten their housing for my rig if I would have seen how reasonably priced it was. I have a stock f-150 65" wms to wms one with most of the fixins. :)

Troy

Hi Troy,

His question was about a Currie Rock Jock.........can you keep to the basic subject?

:eyes: you! :)

This is why I didn't go with the rockjock

i79538774_7985.jpg

It's hard to pass up the super high pinon on the hi9

I looked at the alum rockjock when I went to a new axle. Might be great for comp rigs. But, I wasn't sure how it would take a high speed hit from a rock.
If you do any fast desert stuff this might be something to think about.

David Taylor said:
I looked at the alum rockjock when I went to a new axle. Might be great for comp rigs. But, I wasn't sure how it would take a high speed hit from a rock.
If you do any fast desert stuff this might be something to think about.

Exactly my thoughts on the subject. In the competitions, they don't do rock gardens and boulder fields, they do more climbs and ledges. In recreational crawling we do a lot of boulder fields and we're smacking the pumpkin quite a bit. The Rock Jock might hold up well, but only time will tell, while a steel HP60 is proven to be nearly indestructable. I wonder what you're gaining with the aluminum center section, is a little weight savings down that low worth it?

I wouldn't use one in the front for sure......I've broken the pumpkin on my D44 smacking a rock too hard.

Another thing to possibly consider is that Currie states that the RockJock has a 4,000# vehicle weight limit. I don't figure many of us have sub-4k# XJ's, unless you've lost some of the body.

good points all we seam all on the same page..LOL I will jsut build a HP60 for the rear, will be cheaper and bullet proof. also will match the front I already have.

about 3500 should cover it, which is what I spent on the front. Thanks for letting me think outloud

Back