• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overheating!!

JeepFreak21

NAXJA Forum User
Well the Jeep overheated (perty bad) today. I had the A/C all the way up and I wasn't being real moderate with the throttle, but I dont' think that's the only problem. My radiator is brand new and my t-stat is working fine. Also, my aux fan - a flexlite that I just installed) is also working. Besides swapping the clutch fan out for a non-cluch/bolt on fan, what precautions should I take?
Thanks,
Billy

How's the o-ring on the pressure bottle look? If it's worn your coolant won't stay pressurized and you'll lose cooling. Can you hear the coolant boiling when you shut her down?

i had a major problem with air in the system when i put in a new radiator. took 2 mechanics and a guy from the jeep to fix it. all they did was lift the front, back, side to side on a lift, it was a pain
jimmy

dude it was friencken hot yesterday?? plus u were running ur ac?
so try this don't run ur AC so much then c how it runs!!

stoney

I bought a '92 with a blown head gasket as a fixer-upper. The original problem with the vehicle was an internally plugged radiator. Permatex acid flush fixed that.
However, even with a good-working cooling system, the blown head gasket caused it to keep overheating. The gazillion degree exhaust blowing directly into the coolant inside the head would quickly raise the temp to thermonuclear levels. But, it ran fine. No miss or anything.
New head gasket fixed that. Worked beautifully after.

There are two tests that can be done to see if its leaking internally...one is the cooling system pressure test...radiator shop can do that one..the other is called a leakdown test...each cylinder is fed a metered volume of air while at TDC compression stroke...the instrument shows percentage of leakage...it can pinpoint blown gaskets, poor ring seal, and poor valve seal...a good high performance oriented shop should be able to do the test...for some reason beyond me most regular shops dont use it.

I hear a lot about the XJs overheating. AND MY XJ DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A COOLANT TEMP. GUAGE!!! I wonder what Jeep was thinking when the allowed poorly instumented Jeeps off the production line! As you might guess I bought mine used...had everything I wanted but guages. I need to get my butt down to a junk yard and get a panel. But still...,. when you say 'hot' how hot are we talking .... over 220?

Rick

Jump This said:
I hear a lot about the XJs overheating. AND MY XJ DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A COOLANT TEMP. GUAGE!!! I wonder what Jeep was thinking when the allowed poorly instumented Jeeps off the production line! As you might guess I bought mine used...had everything I wanted but guages. I need to get my butt down to a junk yard and get a panel. But still...,. when you say 'hot' how hot are we talking .... over 220?

Rick

It had to have come with a light. Is your temp warning light not there for some reason? Most of the heating problems you read about are in higher mileage XJ's with parts of the cooling system that are worn out or malfunction. There is no inherent weakness in the XJ cooling system. But, like in any other vehicle, all the components need to be in good working order. From what I've seen, if everything is working right and it still gets hot, it's almost always a partially plugged radiator.

The Permatex Acid Radiator Flush I mentioned earlier is the cure for an internally plugged radiator. None of those soap based flushes can hold a candle up to it.
Costs like 8 bucks for a bottle. Just follow the instructions to the letter and viola! , you have a clean, shiny radiator. It has fixed 2 of my cherokees so far, both had 130-145k miles on them with likely the original radiators.
Takes a few hours to flush, but hey, it beats $120 for a new GDI from AutoZone.

Goatman said:
It had to have come with a light. Is your temp warning light not there for some reason? Most of the heating problems you read about are in higher mileage XJ's with parts of the cooling system that are worn out or malfunction. There is no inherent weakness in the XJ cooling system. But, like in any other vehicle, all the components need to be in good working order. From what I've seen, if everything is working right and it still gets hot, it's almost always a partially plugged radiator.

My engine only has 60k original miles and I just installed a new radiator.

Back