• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'87 OEM fog/off road light removal

aggiecadet

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, i'm a newbie to this site (been on Ultimate Jeep Site for a while but the all XJ thing intrigued me) but i'm having a real problem removing those stock lights that are bolted into the front bumper... I wanna rip em out cuz the glass is cracked and i've got a new set i wanna drop in... if anyone knows or has a suspicion about how to yank em out please let me know... Thanks and Gig 'em!

aggiecadet said:
Hey guys, i'm a newbie to this site (been on Ultimate Jeep Site for a while but the all XJ thing intrigued me) but i'm having a real problem removing those stock lights that are bolted into the front bumper... I wanna rip em out cuz the glass is cracked and i've got a new set i wanna drop in... if anyone knows or has a suspicion about how to yank em out please let me know... Thanks and Gig 'em!
There mounted on a stud welded to the bumper. You will problely need to saw the stud off ans drill a new hole for your lights.
The nut that hold's them on is in the light housing, the nut between the light and bumper is a jam nut for adjusting.

They are not welded to anything. The bumpers come with four holes in them. If you still have the original Marchal lights on an '87 XJ, the mounting bolts are probably so rusted that you'll never get them off. You can cut them off with a sawzall or grinding wheel. If you're careful you might be able to not trash the bumper. To put new lights on you will have to remove the bumper anyway to tighten the mounting bolts, so you may as well take it off first and grind from the rear to preserve the bumper face.

I had no problem accessing the bolts from underneath, but then again my bolts weren't seized together. That could be worth taking the bumper off to save you back.

Back