• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf spring poly-bushing installation

schmiedel

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I just don't want to start working on my XJ and then realize that I missed something. I found the following post:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5725&highlight=sleeve+bushings+installation

Now my question is, I have a set of 12 pieces; let's say 6 for each spring; two for where the spring attaches to the frame, two where the spring attaches to the shackles and another set where the shackle attaches to the frame.

Now my question is quite simple; I don't have new sleeves nor any metal shim, just the bare bushings.

What else will I need? Should I replace the bolts / nuts? Will I need anything else?

I read that I should trash the metal shim, but not the sleeves, does this apply for all the bushings?

Regards

If you have the metal spacers between the leafs, keep them in there, as they prevent friction between the leafs.
If you don't have them, don't worry about it, as it's just an added feature to some springs.
Almost all new leaf sprung vehicles have the spacers.

If you can get the bushing sleeves out without destroying them, you can reuse them if they fit in the poly bushings.

What I like to do to get them out is take a .25" drill bit and a drill and drill right in along beside the sleeve through the rubber.
Then, with the drill running at high speed and the bit all the way in, start rotating (or walking) the bit around the sleeve.
As you do this, the sleeve will begin to come out of the bushing.
Slowly withdraw the bit as it's spinning and the sleeve will come out with it.

Be sure to use anti-sieze compound inside the spring eyes before putting in the polys.

As for the nuts and bolts, that's your call as to whether they are still reusable or not.

Anything else?

Well,

My intention is to have everything ready as I will install another set of leaf-springs which I can have prepared before starting, so my idea is just to do all the job without having to run into some store for more stuff. I'll try drilling the sleeve out in order to reuse it, and if possible I will also buy new bolts and nuts in order to avoid problems with corrosion.

Back