• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No power from ignition?

BrokenXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I turn the key and nothing, even If I turn it backwards to aux, nothing, no dash lights etc. I hooked it up to jumper it, nothing. Yet there is still power, if I jumper the electric fan? Is my ignition gone, and is that part of the coil?

I'd say your ignition switch has failed. Mine failed in march. Go buy a new one they run $10-15. The switch is located on the column, I am not talking the lock cylinder.

Do a search on here it been talked about the lsat couple of months. I also recommend you change out the headlight switch while you have the dash board apart. My headlight failed less than 2 weeks after I changed my ignition switch

Still dead.

OK, I have replaced the ignition switch with an $8 AutoZone switch, which seems a little stiff when turning the key, but I still have no power, ie. dash, aux etc. No start nothing.

This started with the starter just clicking a few weeks ago, Now I have a new starter to put in, and it seems like a fuse is gone??

Headlights work, so the battery is getting power to other parts of the car.

This is an 88'. Could it be the starter, should I put it in anyway?

If it started with starter clicking in the past several weeks, and
you're convinced that the wiring (battery connections and
connections to the starter) is good and tight, and has no shorts
to ground - then I would give the new starter a try (if you have
one right there).

Good luck.

Well, I'd rule out the starter.

Disconnect the negative lead to the battery.
Disconnect both wires to the starter, wrap the ends in thick electrical tape, there is a direct lead to the battery there!
Reconnect the battery.
Now see if you have power to your accessory items. You should be able to turn it to ON and have yoru fuel pump pressurize the system, use your radio, lights, turn signals, all that. If they still don't work I'd say you lost a fuseable link somewhere, I'm not sure where it is offhand, but somebody here will pipe up with that I'm sure.

Sequoia

The starter only affects the starter. It won't affect the fuel pump, gauges, or dash lights. Get a FSM (if you don't already have one) and start down the trouble-shooting tree. Other wise you're going to be throwing one part after another at it on wild guesses until you stumble across the right part. (Which, by Murphy's law, you won't get to until you've replaced everything else.)

First if the battery has power then the cables could be bad or a poor connection. Next I would check fuses and fusible links. Sounds like the fusible link at the starter relay.

did you ever get this one figured out? it sounds exactly like mine when it died and mine ended up being a wire burnt off at the harness for the ignition switch.

Back