• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 slip yoke

edmaude

NAXJA Member #1368
I have been having intermittent vibes on the highway that seem to be coming from rear slip yoke. The suspension is stock w/ up country springs and thew newer style tail housing on the TC. What is the easiest way to lube this? Can it be done by simply removing the dust boot and hitting the shaft with some grease? I've read another post that mentions removing the shaft and I don't feel that comfortable messing with driveline components

Yes, just pull it off to grease the splines, but what kind of 'intermittent vibes' are you having? At certain speed, only when accel/decel, or what?

Jim's right on. I own a 98' with the same TC and this is a source of maintance. It really is a no-brainer item. Use a 8mm wrench to remove the straps holding in the rear u-joint. You may need to pry the U-Joint loose from the Yoke. Once loose, remove the drive shaft by working the boot forward on the yoke side, then pulling the shaft out. Put some multi-purpose grease in the yoke end and reassemble. Yoke bolts should be tight when using a 4" long wrench.

While you have the drive shaft out, be sure to use this opportunity to inspect the U-Joints for excessive wear.

Thanks guys. The vibes that I feel come on when I am cruising 55-75 mph. The vibe is not always there, but seems to be most noticeable when I am on the throttle. In regard to the yoke lube, it seems like I do need to remove the shaft though? Can I use a ziptie to hold the boot back on if I bust on of those metal clamps?

Almost sounds like it's time to replace the u-joints and double-check the operating angles.

Back