• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Type????

sandaholic

NAXJA Forum User
Just curious but I recently did a oil change and since then I have gotten a slight lifter tick.The oil level is full and changed the filter as well.What type of oil are you guys running in the summer?And is the lifter noise common on the 4.0 xj's?

10W30 Mobil-1, for the last 270,000+ miles

10W30 (summer weight) Valvoline or Penn.
My '92 XJ sometimes has noise from the lifters.
The engine is loud. I don't know if they all are.
I don't see the kind of sound dampening that I have had in other vehicles.
I sometimes hear the lifters, but only when the oil level is a bit low, due to oil leaks.
The engine has oil leaks from both front and rear main seals.
I understand that leaks from these areas are common.

Is it just a tick or is it more like a clack that doesn't go away when you rev the engine a little. If I use Castrol for any amount of time in the summer it'll do the clack thing after about 1000 miles after an oil change. I've started running a quart of MMO about every third oil change and it hasn't happen since. I now just use Valvoline 10-30 and pure one filter and it seems to run fine all the time.

I have Amsoil in everything for more than 20,000 miles. Here in South Florida it is 20-50 in the 4.0 and the counter part ATF in the AW4 and the NP231. Of cource it is never colder than 52* on the coldest winter nights.

Is there any real downfall to running a larger range synthetic? something like a 5w50 fully synthetic. In my area the cost of synthetic is the same no matter what thickness so that is not an issue. It would seem the larger range would help when wheeling or on really hot days.

Bender said:
Is there any real downfall to running a larger range synthetic? something like a 5w50 fully synthetic. In my area the cost of synthetic is the same no matter what thickness so that is not an issue. It would seem the larger range would help when wheeling or on really hot days.

Larger spread of syn weight is only possible becaue the molecules chains are longer, syns can handle that. Big spreads in organics cannot do the same without breaking.

Back