• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Four wheel drive systems (newbie q)

canadianwheeler

NAXJA Forum User
I use to own YJ for with a vaccum disconnected system. I now own a 92 XJ with a 242 transfer case. From what i read the front drive shaft always spins with a 242 transfer case ? right? Well with auto locking hubs how does the front axle connect/disconnect the axle shafts? Is there somthing on the front diff ?

thanks in advance

canadianwheeler said:
I use to own YJ for with a vaccum disconnected system. I now own a 92 XJ with a 242 transfer case. From what i read the front drive shaft always spins with a 242 transfer case ? right? Well with auto locking hubs how does the front axle connect/disconnect the axle shafts? Is there somthing on the front diff ?

thanks in advance

There are no hubs it just spins all the time.

canadianwheeler said:
call me an idiot but how to does axle then stops from binding up on the road when taking sharp corners?
It is disconnected in the tcase when in 2wd, the 242 also has a differantial built in so there no bind in 4wd. It will bind if you drive it in 4wd lock.

the 242 is "shift on the fly". having to get out to lock hubs kinda defeats the purpose. :D

also, the front driveshaft and chain in the transfer spin all the time too, so the internal pump can circulate the oil. the chain and diff(awd) gearset just freespool on the smooth portion of the shaft.

The main differences between the 231 and 242 are the 242's full time option. When you put a 231 in 4wd hi or low the front and rear output shafts are tied together and if there is no wheel slippage between front and back you will end up binding. The 242 on the other hand has a differential similar to what your axles have in the pumpkins, it allows the front and rear output shafts to slip as necessary.
Now the YJ you had more than likely had a front vacum disconnect on the passenger side of the front axle, when you engaged 4wd in that the vacum motor in there would slide a lock and tie the two sides together. On the XJ the vacum disconnect it not there on your year, the axles are normal one piece axles so they spin all the time as does the front drive shaft whether you are in 2wd or 4wd, the only difference is that in 2wd the front drive shaft is not 'connected' in the transfer case till you select full time or 4wd hi/lo.
There are no locking hubs on yours unless someone added them aftermarket.

xuv-this said:
the 242 is "shift on the fly". having to get out to lock hubs kinda defeats the purpose. :D

Fair point, but so's the 231 ;)

RichP said:
The main differences between the 231 and 242 are the 242's full time option. When you put a 231 in 4wd hi or low the front and rear output shafts are tied together and if there is no wheel slippage between front and back you will end up binding. The 242 on the other hand has a differential similar to what your axles have in the pumpkins, it allows the front and rear output shafts to slip as necessary.
Now the YJ you had more than likely had a front vacum disconnect on the passenger side of the front axle, when you engaged 4wd in that the vacum motor in there would slide a lock and tie the two sides together. On the XJ the vacum disconnect it not there on your year, the axles are normal one piece axles so they spin all the time as does the front drive shaft whether you are in 2wd or 4wd, the only difference is that in 2wd the front drive shaft is not 'connected' in the transfer case till you select full time or 4wd hi/lo.
There are no locking hubs on yours unless someone added them aftermarket.

Thanks for the details. It all makes sense now.

xuv-this said:
oh no; now he's going to start something again. lol :D :D :D
just kidding, man. :D

Hey, wait, I was replying to *you*? Aw, man, missed my chance! :D

Back