• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swap vacumm disconnect for non disconnect?

canadianwheeler

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 xj with a 242 TC and a non vacumm disconnect dana 30. A friend of mine has a D35/D30 set of axles laying around with 4.10's in them. I would like to swap them into my xj but the donor dana 30 has a vacumm disconnect system in it. Can this swap still be done?

canadianwheeler said:
I have a 92 xj with a 242 TC and a non vacumm disconnect dana 30. A friend of mine has a D35/D30 set of axles laying around with 4.10's in them. I would like to swap them into my xj but the donor dana 30 has a vacumm disconnect system in it. Can this swap still be done?

yes it can to activate the disco though you will need to cable it,

might be easier to jsut swap the dana 30 gears and carrier into your non disco housing

xjnation said:
yes it can to activate the disco though you will need to cable it,

might be easier to jsut swap the dana 30 gears and carrier into your non disco housing

Might be easier but i have never done a gear swap before.

Any other ideas?

The front axle will interchange, you just need to run switched vacuam to the actuator or a cable kit. The axle mounts are the same.

Or you can go the easy way and install the non disconnect axleshafts out of your axle into the new axle. Just take out the vacuum motor and cover up the hole.

so, there are many options here...

Use the 4.10 ring and pinion to install into your axle - very little work outside of a ring and pinion setup (which can run a couple hundred $, but it'll be fast otherwise)

Use only the housing and gears, but you keep your non-disco axle shafts and brakes, etc. This requires a special seal to be used just to the passenger side of the carrier: possibly the CR 11771 as some have been successful with.

Use everything on the donor axle (brakes or not) and make a mechanical substitution to the vacuum system described here. http://home.earthlink.net/~stevenschreiber/cabledis.htm The disconnect has its advantages.

Well
I have made this swap and all I did was run a vacume line to the motor and cap the other two ports
you could run two lines through a vacume switch like for a fish tank to switch it on and off /
but I just leave it on ..simple easy and no extra cost

Quick Fix - Buy a Posi Lok kit from quadratec. It replaces the vaccume disconect motor on the axle with a manually activated one. Only thing you gotta do is pull the button on the cable and your ready to go. This setup is almost as good as not having a vaccume disconnect in the first place. Some of the advantages of this kit are...

1: You can put your transfer case in 4L and not engage the front axle, thus you get true 2L (2wd Low).
2: You can shift on the fly or still
3: Goes in the vehicle in about 2 hrs with basic tools.
4: You never have to worry about your front axle unlocking when you dont want it to.

Also if you had the time, tools, and the money, you can get a manual hub conversion kit from quadratec and combine it with the posi lok kit to make your front axle even better. Only thing to this is its a bitch and will run you about $1,200. Thats why I'm gonna go with the posi lok kit first and save up for the manual hub kit.

OR you can just swap out the passenger side axle. Use CR13165 in the vacum housing to seal the axle up, and just swap the shaft it self. I have dont this succesfully on 2 axles, and it works great.

Patrick

Back