• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trivial, but Really Annoying Problem

Atl XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ever since I got my XJ a few years ago, I've been having problems with the wiper blades skipping across the windshield when I use them. It does it unless it raining really hard and its really, really annoying. I've tried several different types of wiper blades and they all do it. I even went all out and bought these really expensive Bosch ones that were like $9 a piece and they actually worked great for a few months and then started doing it too. I took a look at all the wiper arm parts underneath the cover and everything in there is tight and all the bushings are good so thats not the issue. I thought maybe I was getting something on the windshield so I've tried cleaning it and that didnt really seem to make a difference. I even had my windshield replaced when a rock hit it and that didnt make any difference. So other than buying really expensive wiper blades every few months do you guys/gals have any ideas? I know it sounds trivial, but its really, really annoying. Its my DD and its raining all the time here lately with all of these hurricane reminants we have passing through.

I was thinking that maybe the springs inside the wiper arm have gotten loose and arent putting enough pressure against the windshield but I have no idea if that would help or not. Thanks for any suggestions you may have. :D

I´ve had three XJ´s, never really had a problem with the blades skipping. They all make or made a noise like somebody molesting a farm animal, when the windshield isn´t wet enough. The Bosch blades, with the metal guide/backing under the rubber wiper, are flat dangerous, the rubber tears and the metal backing scratches your windshield. I found some blades at Wal Mart, that had double blades and little wings on top, so the air forces the blade onto the windshield harder. Wasn´t impressed with the dual blade wiper, but the replacement wiper blades, for the double bladed unit, are great, rubber with a plastic backing, works really well, with the stock wiper arm and were only a few bucks for two.
The springs in the arm, might be the problem.
I´ve used Rain X, doesn´t work to bad and quiets down the wiper noise. As a home remedy, I´ve rubbed the windshield with a cut onion. Though the smell coming in the heater vent, is more annoying than the wiper noise.

Quadratec and 4wd.com both sell springs that attach to the wiper arm assembly, and apply extra pressure to the wiper arm. I want to say they are like 6 bucks each or somthing like that. They definitely work, I had the same problem not too long ago....
when I get home tonight, i'll post the part #'s and site listing for them.....

Culinary_Hooligan said:
Quadratec and 4wd.com both sell springs that attach to the wiper arm assembly, and apply extra pressure to the wiper arm. I want to say they are like 6 bucks each or somthing like that. They definitely work, I had the same problem not too long ago....
when I get home tonight, i'll post the part #'s and site listing for them.....

Could you please do that? That would be a big help.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. :D

That noise is actually caused by the rubber "joint" on the blade developing a memory. When you turn your wipers off, they stop in the downward position, and over time, they want to stay in that flexed position. That noise probably occurs most when the wipers are going up, and the rubber is slapping back to the downward position, catching on the windshield (friction), and slapping again repeatedly. This also explains why they don't do it in hard rain because theres more of a film of water on your windshield.

Stronger springs should cure the problem because they will force the rubber into the proper position even after this "memory" has developed.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I use the trico teflon wiper blades. Pricey at like $12-15 each but the teflon allows the wipers to glide over the windshield even after they get old. :)

I had a similar problem with my 89. I got new refills from Walmart that have a sort of "3 squeegee" design on each refill. They were about 3 or 4 bucks each and they are about 2 years old and still work great.

The same thing happend to me until one day they just stopped on the winshield. I forced them a little and they started working again, for a few minutes. Eventually they stopped all together and when i strongarmed them back to work i brok a linkage and the motor wasnt doing anything anyway. I got a motor from a junkyard. It was a ll great untill it started doing it again... It would be nice if this spring thing would work, but ive always suspected a electricalor wiper motor problem.
-Steve D

Culinary_Hooligan said:
Check 4wd.com--- Wiper Arm Tensioners 11.95/pair----Part# BL22 for front
for the rear 6.95/ea--part# R22

Thanks a lot man, I appreciate you looking that up. :D

Thanks to everyone that has helped. I picked up some springs at the hardware store for a few bucks that look like they might work, can't hurt to try. If that doesnt work, I'm not counting on it, I'll be ordering some tensioners.

Clean the windshield with ammonia, then clean it with brasso [the brass cleaner] then apply a coat of good wax. Repeat every 6 months.

essiantly, brasso is a fine particled abrasive polish... using those steps, your polishing and waxing your windshield, (like a good paint job)..

There are windshield polishing kits out there on the market. but run for about 100-150 bucks, but it does come with a cool Dual-Action Buffer/Polisher

i have a new windshield though, its only a few months old. Also, that made zero difference in the problem.

Atl XJ said:
Brasso huh? Why Brasso?

Removes oxydation, up here in the winter we get this black sticky tar like road stuff from tractor trailers, usually during snow/slush storms that the wipers spread all over the windshield and they will stop the wipers cold. Ammonia is the only thing beside gas, kero or alcohol that will get the stuff off. The brasso get the w/s clean and the wax makes it slippery [non silicone type wax btw], I use mothers carnuba and can almost drive with no wipers if I'm going fast enough :D

My problem is a little different than your average problem, but RainX made my wipers skip worse after i tried it than they did with no RainX.

I just happened to come across this thread looking for something else so I thought I'd give an update.

I bought new wiper arms and it helped some. I try different types of blades on it all the time, thats obviously not the problem. The problem is still there, but its intermittent and it always stops after I use the wipers for a while. I'm starting to think that its something getting on the windshield. I'm gonna try some ammonia, brasso, and then wax. Might throw some rainx on there for the hell of it too.

If thats not it the only thing left I can think of to try is to replace the bushings in the wiper parts under the hood. Whats that Help! part #?

Back