• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

One piece axle shaft conversion seal problems

AznDrgn

NAXJA Forum User
I'm currently in the process of trying to swap in a one piece axle passenger side axle shaft from an non disconnect D30 to get rid of the 2 disconnect I have. Problem I'm running into is that I can't seem to find seals that will work. I was told that I should be able to use a 95+ non disconnect seal and put it right outside of the differential carrier like it is on the drivers side but the seal is too big. The diameter of the seal is ~54mm while the tube is only 50mm. I was following this write up here but none of the autoparts stores seem to be able to cross over those warn numbers to what they have. http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/yjd30convert/yjconvert-1.htm

If anyone has any ideas or a proper seal number please let me know ASAP since I have to have the XJ back on the ground tonight and I don't really want to put it all back together again with the vaccum disconnect axles.

TIA

I have a very similar operation going on at home here. I'd start with CR seal 11771 or 11776. I have the 11771, but I am finding that having to compress the OD 0.02" will be difficult when most bore size and OD measurements differ by 0.004". Maybe my understanding of what bore and OD really mean is not correct, but if it's supposed to just tap-tap in then the 0.004" difference is probably what I'll shoot for (11776). You can look up dimensions here http://www2.chicago-rawhide.com/parts_lookup_457010.htm# and then call a parts store.

Alright I think I have solved the seal problem, I used a motor city S-203025 or BCA 203025 seal and put it in the shift motor housing. Fits in great and is nice and snug on the shaft. I'm leaking oil still but that is because for some reason my shaft is wobbling.

Back