• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with headgasket

Addy1423

NAXJA Forum User
I need a 89 inline 6 headgasket from anyone or anywhere and then I need any tips on how to replace it. It's been broken down for about two years and I finally have the money and time to fix it. Thanks!

Fel-Pro's gasket is good - I've used a few. With your job, get the "Head Set," since it has everything from the head gasket upwards - manifold gasket, valve cover gasket, and such.

Do you have a torque wrench? You'll need two - one for the head bolts (up around 100 pound-feet) and a small one for valve cover bolts and manifold bolts (preferably starting down around 5 pound-feet, and going up to 50 pound-feet or so.)

If the head bolts have paint marks on them, BUY NEW ONES! They can only be reused once, and they will fail if you use them again. Don't even take the chance.

The manifold bolts can be reused, but I usually recommend replacing them with brass or bronze. It's a lot easier to have a helper handy, and pull the head and manifolds together. Install the new manifold gasket with the head off, and put the thing in place all at once.

If you can't get an FSM, get a Chilton's. Don't bother with Haynes - I use those to even out the short leg on the workbench... The Chilton's will run a little less than $20 - the average FSM goes for $80-100. If you're going to keep the Jeep for a while, get the FSM - or at least plan on it. Try Leon Rosser Jeep - www.thinkjeep.com.

Take your time - it sounds like you haven't done this before. Think about other things that might want replacing - changing the lifters while you've got the head off isn't a bad idea - and follow the manual procedure for assembly lubrication.

Plan on a full week-end - it doesn't take that long if you've done a lot of mechanical work, but if this is your first time, you want to take your time so you don't make a mistake. Paying attention to what you're doing is important.

See if anyone local to you is willing to help - probably for beer or lunch. If you're out here (I didn't look,) I could probably be convinced to help one weekend...

You can do this yourself if you follow instructions, but it's an involved enough job that you should take advantage of help if you can get it - you'll learn more that way!

5-90

Leon Rosser hasn't been able to use the "thinkjeep" domain for a few years; ever since Daimler's hired team of Pit Bulls did an Internet-wide 'cease-and-desist' cleansing. Try (800) 633-4724 to get hold of them. thinkjeep.com used to redirect to jeep.com but now I'm getting a "Page not found" at that URL.

For the newer XJs, www.techauthority.com has the FSM; they normally don't show the early ones but give them a call to see if they may have some or at least a source other than eBay.

I'm in the process of doing this same job myself, although not for the same reasons, I had to pull the head off mine because one of the manifold studs broke, and caused a nasty air leak when things warmed up, so the whole head ended up having to go in and get machined... but I digress, Having never done the job myself, I was a little nervous, but once I started pulling things apart it turned out to be pretty simple, just make sure you keep notes on where everything came from so putting it all back together isn't such a chore, you'll also want a second pair of hands for actually moving the head in and out from under the hood, it's pretty heavy and awkward for one person to do. Other than that, it's not too tough a job.

I heard of a tip the other day - I've got to replace the headgasket on our old semi/ horsebox because of an overheat & seize: partially & systematically loosen all the head bolts (eg 2 full turns) from the centre out in a circular direction before removing them competely. This reduces the possibility of warping the head be having half of it fully torqued up, and the other half totally loose. Repeat the process in reverse when it comes to putting it all back together.

Good luck!

Also if you pickup or make two threaded studs about 3" longer then the bolts you can thread one in the back of the block and one in the front. This will make guiding the head back on during reassembly easier, then once you have the other bolts started a bit pull the studs out and replace with bolts. If you are reusing them mark them with paint so someoe knows they were reused once already.

Back