• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing header

mission-inc

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possible to remove the header off a 95 4.0 without taking off the intake? (cutting it up and taking it out peice by peice from under?)

Thanks

Why? You're going to be letting yourself in for FAR more work. The two manifolds share a common gasket, and you're going to have to pull the manifold mounting plate if you want enough room to weld all the way around it anyhow...

I have found that a 9/16" "Universal" socket - with the universal joint inbuilt, rather than separate - make the job a lot easier! I also take the airbox out...

You don't mention the year of your XJ, but if it's RENIX, you're going to have to fight with the throttle linkage mount and the EGR - but both sets of bolts have standard threads, so you can replace them with something easier - I used socket head capscrews, since the head is smaller - it gives me more room for later. There is enough vertical clearance over the bolt heads to use a hex key, and you can get "short-arm" hex keys anyhow.

I also find that using silicon bronze bolts, and retaining them with LocTite 272, works well. If the washers are wearing out or missing, get a batch from MSC Direct (you want 3/8" Belleville Spring Washers, and the silicon bronze bolts can be gotten easily from Fastenal - they are threaded 3/8"-16, and I think they're 1-1/2" long - but check.) The LocTite 272 is formulated to take exhaust heat, and works well.

I also replaced the studs at each end and in the centre with brass - which is easier to work with and won't sieze like the steel ones. Since there isn't a lot of tension on the bolts, brass will work nicely, and save you work later. I've been doing this for a number of years, with no ill effects.

5-90

mission-inc said:
Is it possible to remove the header off a 95 4.0 without taking off the intake?
In a word....NO. Why would you want to anyway? Just pull the intake and exhaust off, and (presumably) attach whatever new exhaust you are using as well as a new, CopperKote-d gasket and torque it down...

haha forgot about the gasket...

Thanks for hasta some sense into me

Back