• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OK EXPERTS....need help here

Status
Not open for further replies.

FIRE CAT

NAXJA Member #1243
I was wondering could it be possiable to put a cluch and fan from a "GRAND" cherokee on a Cherokee XJ? will they interchange...dont they have a bigger blade and more blades? thus it would make the XJ run cooler?...Then you could take the whole shroud and fan system and put it on the XJ.....Would it be worth checking out?

According to Hollander's (the standard that body shops use,) they don't swap. You're perfectly welcome to check (and if it works, would you please let me know?) but I'm inclined to think not.

What sort of trouble are you having? If you're thinking about getting a little more cooling air over the radiator, there are still a couple of possibles...

1) Drill the fan clutch - preferably in two or three evenly-spaced locations - to accept bolts to lock the hub and the ring together. This results in a solid, "always-on" coupling - a solid link.

2) Convert to dual electric fans. Most people who do this end up going back, but here's a couple hints I can think of...
A) Have a total airflow capacity of at least 3500cfm, with at least 1750-2000 on the primary fan. Best to get about the same for the second fan. Then, have one wired up to run all the time - or on a two-minute delay after the engine is started, and have the other one on a thermal switch. This will probably want you to upgrade your alternator, since most performance fans draw a lot of current (I think the Derale units draw up around 30A, and Flex-A-Lite somwhere in that range as well. This means relays, and additional power generation needing to be available.)

3) Go with a radiator with an additional core, and start using Redline's "Water Wetter." This is an additive that decreases the surface tension of the fluid coolant, which enables more contact between the coolant and the engine metal to draw more heat out of the engine, and more contact with the radiator to transfer more heat into the atmosphere. This stuff works - I found out about it while I was working on forklifts and stationary engines, and I like it in my vehicles as well.

Anything else I can try to help you with?

5-90

Different radiator and shroud, not even close to the size of an XJ. The problem with the xj is the long narrow radiator. They fixed that with the grand cherokee. It has a radiator like a tj,roughly square. So the blades on the grands are both larger radiuses and higher pitched to move more air but the grand makes room for it. I dont think there is room for the zj fan in an xj and I think it will stick out the bottom and the shroud wont fit either.

Freak - in the case of the Grand fan, bigger isn't always better. Although the original poster broke posting etiquette and failed to identify the year of the XJ, his/her profile indicates this could be about a 2000. If that's the case, it already has the more-bladed electric fan so overheating problems are simply mechanical issues at this point...stuff that has been covered a bajillion times by the 'Search' feature you tout so often.

Now now yacca-man tearing another person down to lift oneself up.....is a sigh of very low self esteem....try to rise up above that..its the first step to manhood, that shows more etiquette than letting people know what year of XJ I have...I am new here and was just asking a question. And i was not aware of the "search feature".....And as I type I am checking the "search" And i dont se a tread that speaks about if Grand cherokees, towing package fan set up, will fit a XJ, I was not aware that the radiator and what not was set up so much differently. I know from previous up grades that i have done to Chevys and Fords, the Manufactures rely to much on "BEAN" counters to make the finish product. thus a cheaper rig, that can use some upgrades. Once in a while another auto from the same manufacture will run a "heaver duty" line of products, so they may be sometimes interchangeable. thats 'WHY" I ask. So I thought if guys are tearing shrouds apart and doing all kinds different things to put in electric fans, even up to 16", for cooling, could one check out the higher end "GRAND' cherokees that have heavy duty towing and see what I could come up with. Case in point I owned 71 Ford 4x4 3/4 ton which i built a 428 cobra jet, the radiator was not big enough so i found a " high desert cooler" radiator off a 75 1 ton comerical rig. it fit fine, it was a taller radaitor that held a gillion gallions of water. and it cooled the cobra jet down real well. So this was my thinking on the XJ,

FIRE CAT said:
I was wondering could it be possiable to put a cluch and fan from a "GRAND" cherokee on a Cherokee XJ? will they interchange...dont they have a bigger blade and more blades? thus it would make the XJ run cooler?...Then you could take the whole shroud and fan system and put it on the XJ.....Would it be worth checking out?
To go back to your original question. Are you having trouble heading up? What year is your jeep?
If its older you might want to consider converting your electric fan to a newer one. I put a three core radiator in mine and it worked wonders but going real slow and with the AC on it would still get a little hot. I put an electric fan out of a 99 and it fixed everything. No heating problems at all now...even in 100*+ temps.

FIRE CAT said:
Now now yacca-man tearing another person down to lift oneself up.....is a sigh of very low self esteem....try to rise up above that..its the first step to manhood, that shows more etiquette than letting people know what year of XJ I have...I am new here and was just asking a question. And i was not aware of the "search feature".....And as I type I am checking the "search" And i dont se a tread that speaks about if Grand cherokees, towing package fan set up, will fit a XJ, I was not aware that the radiator and what not was set up so much differently. I know from previous up grades that i have done to Chevys and Fords, the Manufactures rely to much on "BEAN" counters to make the finish product. thus a cheaper rig, that can use some upgrades. Once in a while another auto from the same manufacture will run a "heaver duty" line of products, so they may be sometimes interchangeable. thats 'WHY" I ask. So I thought if guys are tearing shrouds apart and doing all kinds different things to put in electric fans, even up to 16", for cooling, could one check out the higher end "GRAND' cherokees that have heavy duty towing and see what I could come up with. Case in point I owned 71 Ford 4x4 3/4 ton which i built a 428 cobra jet, the radiator was not big enough so i found a " high desert cooler" radiator off a 75 1 ton comerical rig. it fit fine, it was a taller radaitor that held a gillion gallions of water. and it cooled the cobra jet down real well. So this was my thinking on the XJ,

yuuca man didnt say anything bad to you...

mentioning the year of your XJ is critical to be able to help you - if you had a 1986 with a v-6 we would recomend a new XJ rather than dealing with a new fan...

and letting us know why could also help being that we may have recomended a 17" electric fan, but since you do infact have the best stock cooling fan - if you are overheating, you have an issue that isnt the fan clutch or fan....

try searching for:
electric fan
3 row radiator
ineedalifenotontheinternet

hEY! NO OFFENCE...here guys expecially you yucca-man just thought you came across a litte harsh, I just like to read and not post, so when i did i was more asking a question about all Jeeps and not just my 2000 XJ, Many newer parts will interchange with chevy and fords, I just thought some would with the Grand cherokee and the Regular cherokee. I dont have a heating problem i live in the northwest where its mild, you that live in southwest, have a tough time in summer im sure.I was looking for a esasy upgrade. guess I cant do it, but ill shre look for something.

its AMERIKA....NOT AMERICA!

FIRE CAT said:
its AMERIKA....NOT AMERICA!

you no longer are worthy of any respect

Die.

what the hell did he just say

FIRE CAT said:
I Dont Know But I Have Xj-rangers Post Printed Off....he Might Be In Big Trouble!!!
Yeah, I'm sure he's shaking in his boots. "Amerika, not America" ...gosh, that's so friggin' original! Who'd you borrow the inspiration from?
rolleye.gif

I wasn't harsh in my original posts regarding your question with lack of information, or to JeepFreak's response...but then again if you're enough of a sheeple to think that this is 'Amerika' then you wouldn't understand anyway...

haha, no FIRE CAT, i was wondering what the hell u said!

haha, no FIRE CAT, i was wondering what the hell u said!

Me too. Why would changing a "c" out for a "k" get someone so angry?

When they told me that my name was Erik, I wasn't pissed because it wasn't Eric. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back