• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sway bar hitting spring???

Twistedimg

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a 97 XJ with RE 4.5" superflex kit with 1.75" spacer. I just installed the RE control arm drop brackets and my sway bar now hits my springs. Not a whole lot but some and it gets caught on there every now and then. Today I disco'd one side of the sway bar and drove through my field and I could hear the sway bar hitting the spring a lot. What is the fix for this? Is there an inexpensive DIY fix? Seems like maybe I could make some brackets to move the sway bar mount forward an inch or so but wasn't sure if there was a better method.

This is what you need (I think so hehe)

RE9921 Sway Bar Relocation Brackets, it moves the sway bar forward

By the way it comes standard with the RE 5.5 Extreme Duty

fx4rover said:
This is what you need (I think so hehe)

RE9921 Sway Bar Relocation Brackets, it moves the sway bar forward

By the way it comes standard with the RE 5.5 Extreme Duty

this is what I used when my sway bar was hitting my coils

Does anyone know of a write up to make these? They can't be too complicated. I just don't really want to order any more from RE after their last mistakes.

I have that same problem, i just disconnected them for the time being and I have RE 4.5 susp w/ 2.5 spacers. I'm gonna try longer center tubes if the 1st b/c they're cheaper and if that doesn't work then relocation brackets. those 2 items together should work. or u could prob call RE and tell them ur prob.

Twistedimg said:
Does anyone know of a write up to make these? They can't be too complicated. I just don't really want to order any more from RE after their last mistakes.

RE brackets barely move the swaybar forward! Even though the cut is some 60 degrees forward, the frame at that location has a good slant to it as well. The RE part might afford a half or quarter inch of improved clearance with the spring (this is my guess after using the part and then removing it).

RE clones could be made from some 1/4" thick 2.5" OD square tubing and some cutting. If I just needed to move the swaybar forward, I'd instead get some 1/4"x2" bar maybe 6 or 8" long and drill three holes each spaced apart evenly. This of course assumes you have the longer links.

Bolognablake said:
Not with a kid in the car.

Or 3 kids for that matter. I live out in the country with lots of windy coutry highway roads. I don't race around but I've driven the XJ with sways unhooked and its not the most fun thing to do. Can be done but wouldn't want to.

I have those brakets...I did not need them with my 5.5 lift, my sway bar is way clear of the springs.. they sell for 27.95+ shipping... Ill selll them for 20 to your door...

Twistedimg said:
Or 3 kids for that matter. I live out in the country with lots of windy coutry highway roads. I don't race around but I've driven the XJ with sways unhooked and its not the most fun thing to do. Can be done but wouldn't want to.

3? I knew you had one, didn't know about the other two though. You've got my respect, that's alot of work.

Bolognablake said:
3? I knew you had one, didn't know about the other two though. You've got my respect, that's alot of work.

Yup, 17 months, 5 years, and 8.5 years. One less kid and there is a decent chance I wouldn't be right here cause I would have looked at Wranglers more. :) Needless to say, I rarely have any free time.

just put on re relocaters and they work great... i must have gotten screwed because they didn't come with my lift? o'well problem solved.

Back