• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best A/C compressior for onboard air

I plan on going with my air conditioning unit for onboard air when the money gets available. But than again I own an 85 so my airconditioning didn't work so I will use it for onboard air. So if your xj is newer and has air conditioning that works and you don't want to get rid of it than I would look into getting a York air system. They are fairly priced and not hard to install. Try more searching on this subject if you haven't already. There is good info here about this modification.

Kim.

go to madxj.com they have a good write up. i used a york in my chevy for about 5yrs with no problems. i will be using either the york or a stock xj unit.

I also thought about using one of those pumps that are used for air suspensions on Cadillacs or Lincolns. Haven't heard of it being done or done any research, really, but that seems like it would work well, especially if you want to keep the factory AC and not put another pulley on the motor somewhere... any comments?

buffalomatt350 said:
I also thought about using one of those pumps that are used for air suspensions on Cadillacs or Lincolns. Haven't heard of it being done or done any research, really, but that seems like it would work well, especially if you want to keep the factory AC and not put another pulley on the motor somewhere... any comments?

Ive done it. advantage cheap and failry reliable will build good pressure. Disadvantages, they are very slow. and they get extremely hot. it took me an friend (8 tires) almost an hour to air back up after a run. that was running the compressor continuously. we kept it cool by sitting ice cubes on the top. I was running 31x12.50 boggers, and he was running 33x12.50 swamper radials.

If you have no other options and have small tire 31x10.50 or smaller I could see it working. there small enough that you could almost mount one in each corner of the jeep (with stock bumpers) and then run a hose to each tire, heck you could even run a hose connecting all 4 compressors so the pressure would be even.

Seriously though if you do this get a least 2 of them, there cheap.

Dingo

Back