• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shakes around 45 MPH...

*DC*

NAXJA Forum User
I use to have an 88 xj w/ 2" lift and 31's and around 45 mph the front end would shake but it would stop if i went slower or faster. I test drove a 92 xj lifted 3.5" w/ 32's and it does the same thing. another freind of mine also has an xj but his is stock an says it does it too. what could this be? its weird to me that all 3 have the same problem. any help would be nice.

That would be the "death wobble" if you do a search you can find a ton of different answers for causes of this.

In my case, it's due to bad ball joints and front end being out of alignment. The first thing that you'll want to do is make sure that all your steering/suspension is in good working order and tightened down. It could be worn out steering stabaliser - that fixed my roommates shakes on her xj - but that didn't necessarily solve the problem, just hiding it by not shaking.

Key thing is, there usually isn't just one issue, you'll have to take a look at the various components of your front end.

The reason for it shaking only at certain speeds is due to harmonics, so that's normal.

Hope this helps,
Holy_Handgrenade

I think you probably have a wheel shimmy, and not the dreaded death wobble.

Get your tires re-balanced and see if that helps.

From the sound of it I don't think he's talking about death wobble either. It's called death wobble for a reason (you think you're gonna die...). It'll start shaking so violently that you pretty much lose control of the vehicle, $h!t yourself, and have to let the vehicle slow down on it's own since braking usually makes it even more violent.

I have a shake in the front end like he mentioned at about the same speed, but it's definitely not death wobble in my case. I had death wobble when I first got the lift and managed to get rid of it.

In most cases a shimmy in the front end could be caused by similar or the same problems to those that cause DW, so you could still do the same searches to try to find a cure.

Check for a bent/untrue wheel. (not to be confused with a dishonest wheel) It can be balanced and if it's bent and you still get the wobble! AND IT'S NOT DEATH WOBBLE!!!

Like nhrocker said:
"It'll start shaking so violently that you pretty much lose control of the vehicle, $h!t yourself, and have to let the vehicle slow down on it's own since braking usually makes it even more violent."
AND HE'S NOT EXAGGERATING!!

lloyd said:
Check for a bent/untrue wheel. (not to be confused with a dishonest wheel) It can be balanced and if it's bent and you still get the wobble! AND IT'S NOT DEATH WOBBLE!!!

Like nhrocker said:
"It'll start shaking so violently that you pretty much lose control of the vehicle, $h!t yourself, and have to let the vehicle slow down on it's own since braking usually makes it even more violent."
AND HE'S NOT EXAGGERATING!!

ditto I have the same shimmy as mentioned 4.5 lift and 33's only thing a little loose on mine is upper CA bushings on the axle... replacing them this week to see if it cures it... good luck fella's -Andy

Sorry for using wrong terminology - mine ended up by developing into the death wobble (shaking so violently I couldn't see straight).

But I have had the same issue, I know exactly whats wrong on mine, but have not been able to fix it as of yet, so untill then I just monitor my speed. Just some things to look at.

Could also be bald tires (but I'm sure you've already looked at that too :) )

I have the same issue except I get it around 55 mph. Balancing the wheels has helped every time. The only problem is that it doesn't take much for them to get unbalanced enough to cause this again. I usually balance my front wheels once every time I change the oil and every time I rotate them.

This problem can also be solved by going slower or faster than the speed it happens at. Thats a lot easier than balancing the wheels all the time.

now that i think about, it could be the tires because they are getting to the point of replacement pretty soon. like i mentioned it has a 3.5" lift but my plan is to get longer shackles and coil spacers and put 33's on it and i planned on getting rock crawlers to so it will have new wheels and tires. the tires on my 88 were pretty shot to and had flat spots.

Back