• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87' XJ Dana 44 Exploded View

xjralfy

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have an exploded view of the D44? I picked up one from a salvage yard about a year back and think I'm finally gonna start the rebuild.

Any links to D44 rebuilds would be good as well.

Thanks

Search for threads that I (mhead) started. There are a few with 'D44'

I did a D44 rebuild and asked questions at the really hard points. Also, hunt down Yukon Gear and Axle. They have a pamphlet on line that gives info about setting lash and so on.

Rebuilding and swapping in a D44 is a do-able thing. You have to try sorta hard. I made a case spreader and purchased a 20 ton press. You'll need a small-value torque wrench and also a standard one. There are a few other relatively inexpensive special tools. It's a fun project...

There's lots of info here on naxja about D44s. Something of an obsession with XJ owners!

mhead said:
I made a case spreader and purchased a 20 ton press. You'll need a small-value torque wrench and also a standard one. There are a few other relatively inexpensive special tools. It's a fun project...
You don't really need a case spreader, just two prybars placed in a strategic position. The press though does come in handy. Lastly save your bearings (an el cheapo harbor freight puller and couple bolts will allow you to save the bearings) so that you can hone them out and make setup bearings (If you use them for setup bearings make sure that the replacements are same size: check with a caliper the bearing and race together)

Back