• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Easier way to probe a TPS?

XJMark

NAXJA Forum User
Y'know what is the deal with that back probing thing you have to do to check a TPS? I've never had to do anything so frustrating in my life, and I'm an electronics technician! Getting a good connection is a pain and when you finally get a good connection you have to switch the probe out and start over only at a different wire. :mad: Three hands would help too. -end rant, read on-

So one day I'm at the u-pull junk yard and I have a lightbulb moment (I think we've all had this moment at the u-pull). I pull my digital multimeter (yes there's one in my toolbox too) and verify the TPS on this donor Cherokee is dead, but that the wiring is good. -Snip- I cut the wires on both ends of the plugs (yes you have to cut the wires on the wiring harness side too), paid my 3 dollars for it and left.

I now had a male and female TPS plug and wire set, I proceeded to strip and twist the corresponding wires together (A to A, B to B, etc.) and crimped them into one end of a crimp type barrell connector leaving the other side empty.

I now have an "inline" TPS test cable, the barrell connectors are marked A, B and D. No more intermittent connections, the probes simply "plug" into the open ends of the barrell connectors. When I'm done adjusting the TPS I just remove the inline cable and put it away for another time, just like any of my other tools.

If anyone needs a visual, PM me and i'll see about posting a pic of it tonight.

Mark

This is exactly the type of thing I was wishing for a couple of weeks ago when I was trying to monitor the voltage from the O2 sensor on a Golf.
I had to scrape off some insulation and try to seal it up with silicon afterward.
Your approach is good for many different sensors.

My attack is a little more primal but if you have access to diaper pins stick them thru the insulation and clip on your DMM leads. Remove upon completion and use a couple drops of some stuff called "Liquid Tape". Silicon is not recommended because even though it may not harden, it shrinks over time and can cause insulation cracking. Elevated temps amplify rubber silicon's problems.

Back