• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tool Brand Question

xzalt

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to start increasing my tool selection, and I've always leaned towards craftsman products. But I was really wondering if a better brand existed. I'm also planning on buying some power tools and I hoped to maintain brand uniformity so that if they were cordless, batteries and chargers would interchange.

really looking for opinions and past experiences from those who know more than I.

thanks

Craftsman, Proto, and S&K are all good "mainstream" brands - I have tools from all three.

Craftsman has served me well for more years than I care to count, but I get most of my "specialty" stuff (stuff that I can't find anywhere else, or that I REALLY use the Hell out of!) comes from Snap-On. Only problem(s) with Snap-On - you pay about four times what you'd pay for the Craftsman/Proto/S&K, and if you do manage to break one, you have to find a tool truck.

Snap-On is good for you if you're pro, and work somewhere that the tool truck visits regularly. If you are a hobbyist, I'd suggest sticking to Craftsman, Proto, and S&K - and Craftsman is easiest to find.

5-90

In my experience since Kmart bought Sears, craftsmen is becoming a PITA to get exchanges. I have started to buy Lowes Kobalt tools. The exchange policy is easier (like Craftsmen used to be) and the tools are good quality. This is coming from person that has lived Craftsmen for 20 years. With Craftsmen it depends on the store you return them too. It seems all are different with how they are handling exchanges.

BA

Guess so - I've not had trouble. I usually save broken tools up for a while (about a quarter or so - I'm pretty rough) and take them in all at once. They just upend the little bucket I take in, count everything, and hand me my new stuff. Then I'm gone.

I can also exchange them at the local hardware store, since Sears had bought Orchard Supply Hardware. Too bad Kmart bought Sears - I thought Kmart was finally going to fold up after the whole Rosie O'Donnell flap...

5-90

I have not had any problems with craftsman, either at a full sears store or the specialized hardware stores they opened. That said the 'powerbuilt' brand torx socket set and a 3/8" 'palm ratchet' I bought at the local ACE hardware store have been super so far. Snap-on and Matco I go to for specialized stuff. One item is the clamp pliers for the OEM clamps, makes life soooo much easier, I was getting pissed trying to take the OEM clamps off and back on with a set of channel locks that I stopped at my local snapon guys house and bought a set, now it's easy.

For power tools, go Milwaukee or Bosch.

Ditto, Craftsman for daily stuff and Snap-on for specialized tools. I also have some Proto and Mac, both are excellent.

Snap-on can be purchased on their web site. Dont know about exchanges though.

--Karl

Started with Craftsman, then started buying Boeing surplus Snap-On stuff...and bought Klein drivers. Haven't had any issues yet (except with Craftsman screwdrivers, lol).

I've had no problems with Craftsmen exchanges at my local Sears, take it in, get the new stuff and leave, no questions asked. I also use some Husky tools, can be found at Home Depot, they claim to have a lifetime warranty but I haven't broken any yet so can't tell you how good it is.

Cherokee91Red said:
I've had no problems with Craftsmen exchanges at my local Sears, take it in, get the new stuff and leave, no questions asked.
Most likely it's not 'new' stuff though; they try to replace broken tools with a selection of refurb'd or returned stuff first...I've noticed Sears is less prone to just grab a similar replacement off the shelf but instead they need to get management approval first...

Yucca-Man said:
Most likely it's not 'new' stuff though; they try to replace broken tools with a selection of refurb'd or returned stuff first...I've noticed Sears is less prone to just grab a similar replacement off the shelf but instead they need to get management approval first...

The mainline Sears near me in Stroudsburg Pa has a rack of ratchets right near the register, rack is labeled 'not for sale, exchange only' all the base model 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" models were there, the dull finished ones. Have not had to take a ratchet back yet but then I use mostly breaker bars for loosening and torque wrenches for tightening. I think alot has to do with the 'right tool for the right job'. It's been many years since I dented a ratchet using it has a hammer..
I also hit my ratchets every year with some CLP breakfree and that keeps them operating smoothly even my 22yo 1/4" one my son left outside all winter on the frame rail of his TJ, it would not change direction, frozen solid, so some PB, rinse in thinner, lube with CLP and it works fine again.

Craftsman are good. I run Mac Tools for 4 years the only thing I brake is the 18mm deep wable 3/8 drive. but thats the old style with the pin. But the craftsman wrenches are nicer than the sqare handle Mac's. I also have some harbor frieght wrenches have not used them much though (home Tools). My friends dad uses them though and he is a Mec. for 20-25 years. hope thst helps.

I am a college student and have worked in the local Sears hardware dept. for about a year now. I know the way we handle tool exchanges follows along these lines. Any hand tool (ratchets, sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc..) are exchanged on a no questions basis. The only refurbushed tools offered are ratchets and tape measures. A refurbished is offered first but if the customer wants, they can get a new one (company policy). With the Kmart buyout, things have been somewhat changing...just not sure in which direction. The policy on 99% of power tools is a 90 day return policy and they all come with one year repair/replacement policies. That does not cover everything but...hope it helps.
Daniel

BAs96XJ said:
I have started to buy Lowes Kobalt tools. The exchange policy is easier (like Craftsmen used to be) and the tools are good quality. This is coming from person that has lived Craftsmen for 20 years. With Craftsmen it depends on the store you return them too. It seems all are different with how they are handling exchanges.

BA
I have Kobalt tools also. Snap on is always my first choice for specialty tools (love my new brake bleeder setup). I think Kobalt is made by snap on or is owned by them.

K

I stopped buying Crapsman over 10 years ago when they started going thinning the sockets and discontinuing the last of the decent ratchets. I really don't give a crap about the warranty I care more about it breaking. Nothing pisses me off more than having to waste an hour to go get crap exchanged.

Most of my tools are being swapped out for Cornwell and Snapon. I buy an occasional cheaper tool when it's only needed occasionally, but that is getting less and less often. If you buy off a truck, buy based on the dealer not the brand. MAC, Snap-on, Cornwell, Matco, etc all have some really good tools but the dealer makes the difference. I like extremely fine toothed ratchets and Snap-on and Wright are the only ones I've found that meet that spec. Almost all of them are playing the Sears game now and swaping in China junk with a quality label. I have never had one of my dealers try and pass them off as anything else and they source their own good tools in those.

Wright is a pretty good store brand. Usually exclusive to tool stores anymore. They can be had for about the price of Crapsman but are an easy twice the quality.
http://www.wrighttool.com/

Others to keep in mind:
T&E tools - Usually about Crapsmen quality at discount - still lifetime.
http://www.kd-tools.com/ - Most of my specialty stuff and the only real gear wrench.
http://www.otctools.com/ - All sorts of specialty Crap
http://www.lislecorp.com/ - More specialty tools
General and Staret

Say :wave: to money. :D

K-D is making a comeback I guess, I've noticed at least a half dozen commericals this past week on speed and spice channels. They also had quite a presence at the arca and nascar races here at pocono raceway this past weekend.

RichP said:
K-D is making a comeback I guess, I've noticed at least a half dozen commericals this past week on speed and spice channels. They also had quite a presence at the arca and nascar races here at pocono raceway this past weekend.

K-D almost went to exclusively supplying the majors at one point. The local shops around here always carried everything but the normal hand tools until the Gear Wrench.

What's funny is my Snap-on dealer sells the Gear Wrenchs instead of the Snap-on brand. He can sell them at less than the Snap-on cost (same wrenches different label) and provides the same warranty. They only ones they have problems with are the reversables with the little lever.

I have a set of these in metric and SAE. They get used a lot more than I planned:
http://www.kd-tools.com/9240.htm

I largest problem I have is the Snappy guy is my neighbor and is within cursing volume level. I curse and he appears. Other neighbors like him because he keeps me with a smile on my face. :D

Hello, my name is Lincoln and I have a tool fetish. I've filled this box in six months and it was supposed to last me two years. JKTXJ was over the other day teasing me about cleaning my toolbox more than my cars. :D

Since this pic I've added three sets of sockets (mid depth sockets are the shit) and the gear wrenches to the top drawer.
top.jpg

i know a bit about "crapsman".you can tell that the guys that swear that they're the best don't use tools very much. basically, i think buying most simple hand tools from them is ok since the exchange is easier.
i like their creepers and tool boxes
BUT:
-do not buy their ratchets.
-do not use their reg. sockets for light impact usage.
-DO NOT BUY THEIR FLOOR JACKS! ever see the 2 1/2 ton jacks on sale with some other stuff like stands or a creeper for 39.99 in their local sale paper? they have been trying to get rid if those pieces of crap for a while now. the funny thing though is that my old man has a 30ish year old crapsman 3 ton jack and it still works flawlessly. yup, they've sold out to china.

-if you plan on welding on a jeep project, their wire welders suck. about all they're good for is light projects around the house/garage. and the water seperators on their big air compressors suck.

Back