• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing injector question

ylojrzy

NAXJA Forum User
I need to remove the heat shield above the exhaust header of my 89 4.0. I am trying to track down a coolant leak on the driver's side, back side of the motor. Anyway, I took the clips off the injectors and got the fuel rail loose. now I want to pull the injectors. They are still attatched to the harness. They move freely. How hard do I pull on them to come out? How many O rings are there on each and any other info I would greatly appreciate. Thanks in advance guys. Jeff in Tucson.

It might be easier to take the harness off. Make sure you label each harness so you know where it goes. After that, just wiggle them back and forth and they should back out. There are two o-rings. One seals the injector to the engine and the other seals teh injector to the fuel rail. If it were me, I would plan on replacing those o-rings as well as the one on the fuel pressure regulator as they will probably leak if you try to re-use them. Ask me how I know!
BSD

ok, were to get the o rings without going to the stealer? same size for the regulator? i didn't mess with that. And how do i seperate the injector from the harness? thanks again, Jeff

If you haven't already tore the injection system down there is a water port on the back side of the head. It is not necessary to remove the injection system to get to it. You mentioned the leak was on the back driverside of the motor. Just something to look at. I had a leak there.

The harness is held on to the injector with a little spring clip doodad. They pop off to one side. Be careful so you do not lose one.

Thanks guys. ok first the injectors are still in. so, how do I see this water port. where is it? how to fix it? Im looking at a set of 19lb. mustang injectors too so may just take em out too. same o rings for the stang injectors i suppose?

The o-rings are teh same. When you order a set of injectors - most here go with five-o-motorsports - they come with the injector. Be carefulputting them on so as not to nick them. Some soak them for a couple of hours in fuel prior to assembly. I used vaseline and it turned out good.
GAB

Thanks GAB. I'll do that when I get them. I'm gonna check today to see if he grabbed them from home. Cross yer fingers.

Back