• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS on a C8.25"...can it be done?

ColoradoXJ13

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,
I am swapping a '00 C8.25" into my '01 (w/ ABS) in place of my D35. I'd like to keep ABS to keep my insurance company happy and for piece of mind (even though I know it sucks and I disable it when offroading). I also put disc brakes off a ZJ onto the 8.25. I have all the ABS stuff from the ZJ, and can hook it all up, the one thing left to do would be to get the ABS tone rings off the ZJ D35 shafts and onto the 8.25 shafts.

Looking at the 8.25 all assembled, there seems to be space between the axle tube and the part of the axle shaft that the lug bolts are in (flange?)...maybe enough to fit ABS tone rings...has anyone ever thought about this or attempted it....the 8.25 shafts don't look much thicker at that point than the D35 shafts....I assume I could have someone pull the tone rings off the ZJ D35 shafts, machine them out if needed, and press them onto the 8.25 shafts?

That could work. The other possibility is to look at a Liberty 8.25 since they run disks and ABS.

Lawn Cher' said:
That could work. The other possibility is to look at a Liberty 8.25 since they run disks and ABS.

Good point....does anyone know about/have a libby with 8.25 and discs? Is the 8.25 on the libby the same as an XJ 8.25 (other than coils vs leafs) as far as width, etc.....maybe I could just buy ABS tone rings at a stealership for a libby and have those pressed on....they may not work with the ZJ sensors though....argh.

Dakota's with the 8.25 and ABS have the tone rings in the diff.

Back