• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HD hubs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramsey

NAXJA Forum User
I've gone through 4 unit bearing timken hubs in about 7 months or so. Is there a hd replacement out there other than getting manual hubs. i have no more warranty at autozone so before i drop another 130 i want to know my options. TIA

Sounds like you've got something else going on.

I went through a pair of SKS hubs, but the Timkens I put on afterwards seem to be holding up much better.

Are you sure you're getting enough torque/preload on the 36mm nut?

i thought about that being the problem, its around 180 isnt it? i've stood on a breaker bar and bounced to tighten them before and i'm not light. although i cant remember if i did the last time or not. gonna try and talk autozone out of another one. but i take that timken is about as good as i can get. this is w/33s locked and taken on rocks btw

The only real way to know whether or not something is torqued right is to use a torque wrench which it sounds like you don't have. I think Autozone rents out tools, you might want to ask them if you can borrow one to make sure you go it tight enough. Thats a lot of hubs to go through in 7 months, thats actually a lot for 7 years on most cars. It does sound like that nut isn't staying very tight though.

Ramsey ... Are you going through these hubs on just one side, or are both sides going bad? If you are using the same "torque method" on both sides, yet only one side is going bad, the problem may be elsewhere. I'm not saying this is not the problem, just saying this is not really an uncommon method of torquing the 36mm nut.

What backspacing are you running on your wheels? Less backspacing puts more stress on the unit bearing and contributes to wear on them. A lot of people run less BS on their wheels, so it should not be directly related to your problem, but will contribute to bearing wear.

Do not have experience to back this up, but I believe I have read that a bent axle will wear out a unit bearing too. This you might check your axles.

How long has it been since you have rotated your tires. I have seen tires that have worn on the inside so badly that it can compound the wear on the hub bearing.

Have you checked your ball joints? These, if bad, can contribute to excessive hub bearing wear.

Basically, what I'm saying is it sounds like you may have something else wrong that is causing the hub bearing unit to wear out. Just some ideas for you ... hopefully I've not posted any bad info here.

Les

Last edited:
definetly some ideas to look at, thanks. first time both were trashed but i use to play in the mud alot. next two were jsut the right side. i did have a rather nasty encouncter with mud a couple months back not exactly by choice though. backspacing is 4" with 12.50 tires, a very common combo so i doubt that is it. i'll check out hte ball joints. your strange english confused me, your saying that is a common or is not a common method of torquing the nut.

"not uncommon," a double negative, means that it is done.

what i thought. i live in the south, give me credit just for being able to spell

Ramsey said:
what i thought. i live in the south, give me credit just for being able to spell

Spelling is only one piece of the trifecta. Punctuation and capitalization are important elements of written communication as well.

You get a :star: for trying though.

YAY :yelclap:

Sorry Ramsey ... for using the double negative on ya. Cher' is correct ...

I'm not sure if it is a "universal method" for torquing the hub bearing nut, but I have heard several people comment they use this method. Most people have torque wrenches, but (like mine) only register up to about 150 ft/lbs. I weigh about 165 lbs. so the "stand on the breaker bar slightly past 12 inches method" is what I use.

Basically, you need to look for some other problem that is causing your Hub Bearings to wear prematurely IMO.

Les

Ramsey said:
i thought about that being the problem, its around 180 isnt it? i've stood on a breaker bar and bounced to tighten them before and i'm not light.

No offense meant, but possibly you're over torqueing them?

Either that, or as others have suggested, you have other problems. I'm still on my originals, FWIW

lesslimited said:
No offense meant, but possibly you're over torqueing them?
He is kinda a lard ass, isn't he! :D

Les

LBEXJ said:
He is kinda a lard ass, isn't he! :D

Les

"Big-boned"?

Now, Les, I was trying to be nice... Maybe he's sensitive about his weight.

And some of my best friends are lard asses...

:laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3: ... sorry Ramsey, for calling you a lard ass ... :laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3:

John did make a good point, someone as "big boned" as you may be over torquing them ...

Les

:cry: why is everyone so mean, screw yall i'm going to pirate where people will respect me and be kind to me

Dude ... I have a "boney shoulder" for you to cry on! :laugh3:

Les

you old whithering asshat, fall down and break a hip will ya

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

figured out what was wrong, les you fawked it up:D i was putting my spare on there and i was going to take the hub nut off and it nearly came off by hand. i think i remember you tightening it last:D did you put anti sieze on there, if so could that be why? i told you you were to damn scrawny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back