• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix to HO...good idea?....can o worms??

jeepinairman

NAXJA Forum User
i have an 89 xj 4.o limited......tired old 168000 mile 4.0......

NOW...before i get burned on this...yes it only has 168|K and not 300K...BUT..she is tired.....still runs alright....but here are my reasons...

1. More Performace mods for HO 4.0

2. Newer engine= better engine right?

3. Im ballzee enough to try my first engine change on my DD..haha..i do engine changes on deisels alot with my job in the AF and im not scared to try this

now....with that said.....i would like a 95+ year 4.0 to put in the 89......NOW what is involed.....how much of a pain is it going to be.....i am confident that with alot of hard work i can get it done in about a week if i take leave...and i know guy that has a jeep specific salvage yard and i will be able to pick up and engine pretty cheap...
you all think its a good idea?...bad idea?....what things do i need to bring over from the donor jeep that mine doesnt have.....

anyone with a writeup on this or links to one would be great
questions....comments....burns ....all welcome

There is a yahoo group "renixpower".

Go join that, you can get your old renix to run just as strong as newer engines easily. New head, new intake, same sensors and electronics. easier in the long run..

cool deal...i will check em out.......

still interested in changing engines though.....but i will check them out

jeepinairman said:
cool deal...i will check em out.......

still interested in changing engines though.....but i will check them out

It is a lot of work getting all of the electronics strait, from what I understand, whereas you can get a newer head/intake manifold/injector rail, put it on your existing block, and more or less have all of the upgrades. You have to tweak a couple things around (drill a hole, add a sensor, etc) to get it to smog, but its a lot less work than a full swap.

smog?...like the smog testing stuff???..dont have it..never have.....

i am going to check out the renix guys more...thanks for the info though..

i found em on yahoo........dont have time to screw around with it right now though.....

i was thinking the electrical was going to be a pain in the butt but thats why i asked ya know...lol

i cnat make much outta that group...i joined it....they keep talking about alot of things i know little about..i searched and looked around for about 1 1/2....nothing...

if i can ask another question...what intails swapping the head from a HO to my Renix...since i cant find it on there...i figure intake and exhaust manifolds right?.....anything else....temp sensor.....???? etc

I havent done it myself, but the way I understand it, the new head bolts on, use the new intake manifold and new fuel rail, put your sensors and injectors into it though from the renix system. Some sensors go to differnet places, but use the same ones. You may have to drill and add a spot on the intake manifold for some smog stuff. There should be a writeup on it here on naxja.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41571&highlight=renix+head

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26616&highlight=renix+head

http://www.rockmodified.com/2003/april/TB/tb_perf.htm

.. Go read those, and consider where you want to go from there. If you are lucky, "Dr Dyno" will chime on in this thread. I hear he's the expert on this..

-c

haha thanks a bunch....i think without meaning too you have convinced me to do the head swap.....lol.......

i have read those threads searches....*thanx for the help btw*

i wonder if you use the newer intake and exhaust manifolds or do you use the old ones.....????

I have the imperssion you use the newer head's intake/exhaust, as the ports will not line up correctly otherwise. I'm -told- the best setup is the renix block/electrical, 91-96 head, 99 intake manifold, banks header, ford mustang 5.0 fuel injectors on the 91-96 fuel rail adaptec to the renix fuel lines. Run a throttle body to match the intake manifold, and find a way to adapt the TPS to fit. I'm not sure how to deal with the IAC.

That's pieced together from a LOT of conversations and reading. I'm trying to find a good walk-thru from one person who has actually done it, but havent found it yet.

I plan on doing something to that effect later. I know you have to add a port to the intake manifold for (the egr valve?). I run a 1987 xj renix 4.0, with less than 50,000 original miles (it sat in a garage for a long time before I got it) so its gonna be a while before I need to tear into the engine, but thats about what I have in mind.

I understand a much simpler mod would be to run a 91-95 HO head with all bolt on renix gear, but I need to do more research on it. Let me talk to a few local peeps and I'll hit this thread again in 2-3 days

hey i found a 98 intake manifold pretty cheap.....how big of a pain would it be to bolt it onto the 91-95 head?..

anyone??......i was reading on that one webpage about how to adapt the tps for the newer intake...seems kinda complex.....anyone else tried this with a HO TB....

as in...puttin it on the renix sensors...

thankie!

Back