• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Dana 30 axle problems

MAXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So heres the problem:
My brother's YJ, the problem child in the family, has had this problem since recently after he bought it where when it was in 4wd the front axle would clunk and hop and once on my driveway he was moving forward (its uphill slightly) in 4wd and it clunked and the jeep rolled back a bit until it caught again and then clunked, same thing over and over. So i figured it must be spider gears or something missing teeth and told him when i had time in the summer we could check it out.

Recently, it was sitting in our street and out of the passenger side of the axle housing it started leaking gear oil (pea green nastiness, might i add) so i told him we could take a look at it soon. He drove it after i told him not to even though it leaked and now it clicks all the time, especially when he turns the wheel to the right, thats when its most noticeable.

I haven't taken everything apart yet, i have never done any work on axles before so i am kind of learning things as i go, but i pulled off the diff cover tonight, drained the pea green nasty shit from the axle and checked out the gears and everything looks fine, no metal scraps laying anywhere, but even after i drained the differential the axle still leaks.

Heres my thought, is it possible the axle shaft broke inside and teh two halves are grinding together or something? I'm not sure how it could have broken because he never did much in 4x4 that could have done that. Also, could the clicking be the u-joint on the axle shaft? The leak seems to be the axle shaft seal i am assuming, is that on the inside or outside or is there an inner and outer? What do i need to do? I realised i need a bigger socket to get that bolt off the end of the axle shaft after i took the wheel off so i couldn't move much farther tonight but i am going to continue on it tomorrow so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Check the axle u-joints. Make sure all the caps are still there.

I once lost a u-joint cap on the highway. I guess that allowed the axle shaft to move around more than usual, and I spewed a lot of gear oil.

That would explain both of your problems.

You don't need to remove the 36 mm axle nut to change the u-joints. Remove the brake calipers and the three 12-point 13 mm bolts that hold the hub assembly on. Then you can remove the axle shafts to change the u-joints.

Last edited:
Sorry, didn't read your original post closely enough.

You could pull the shafts to change the u-joints (sounds like it's time). At the same time, you could visually inspect the shafts to eliminate that as a possibility.

And the axle seal is on the inner shafts. They can be difficult to change without the proper tool.

I'm with johnny on this one, If you wanna check the axle shafts (might as well replace the u-joints at this point too), Take the caliper and rotor off, on the back side of the knuckle there are 3) 13mm bolts, loosen them about 1/4 of the way, and use a donor socket and a hammer to free the hub assembly and shafts. Then remove the bolts. When you pull the shaft out, you can visually check them to see if they have any damage.

Allright, definately the U-joints. If there is more to it i won't know until i replace those. Only problem is i can't find a 12 point socket to fit those 3 bolts (dont think i have one small enough) and they are so rusted on there i think they are just gonna strip anyways. Are they definately 13 mm? The regular 13 mm socket just seemed too small on the bolts but i am not sure if thats just because it wasn't a 12 point socket.

Any advice, tips or tricks on replacing those u-joints (both sides) and axle shaft seal on the passenger side?

They are definitely 13mm. i just did mine about 3-4 days ago. Again just get them bolts out about 1/4 of the way at first, then grab a donor socket, place it over the bolt, and hit them with a hammer til the hub/shaft assembly breaks free from the knuckle. Also, the dust shield has to go back on for inspection (i forgot to put it back on before i reinstalled the shaft assembly, looked over to the side of me and .......shit..... i had to do it all over again). The joints themselves were a PITA to get out.

Do a search on this and other forums. (Dont remember where I saw the write up) But there are a number of writeups that will help you alot if this is your first time doing it. Its not too difficult and a good project to learn on!!
Remember this axle is in a number of Jeep vehicles and the instilation will be the same for any and all models.

Try STU OLSENS site...http://www.stu-offroad.com/index.shtml its got worlds of info but it targeted at the TJ.
Another one is http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/ This guy also has alot of info.

Try cleaning all the biolt heads with a wire wheel and then spray the snot of the the bolts for a couple days before the project. Be SURE to have some silver ANTI SLEEZE on hand for the assembly!! It will make that inevatable trail axle break that much easier!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!
CW

The bolts are supposed to be 13 mm 12 pt but for some reason perhaps just wear due to corrosion I find I can remove some better with a 12mm or 1/2" 12 pt.

Allright, so hammering on those bolts got me nowhere. Everything is pretty rusty up there so it doesnt want to budge just yet. What i am wondering is if i pull off that 36mm nut and use a puller/slide hammer will that be able to get the axle shaft out? I cant get the vaccum shift motor off either to check in there because one of those bolts snapped. I am so fed up with this jeep, its harder to work on than mine, but i feel bad because my brother doesnt have the $$ to have it fixed. What do you guys think? Is there something else holding that axle shaft on?

MAXJ said:
Allright, so hammering on those bolts got me nowhere. Everything is pretty rusty up there so it doesnt want to budge just yet. What i am wondering is if i pull off that 36mm nut and use a puller/slide hammer will that be able to get the axle shaft out? I cant get the vaccum shift motor off either to check in there because one of those bolts snapped. I am so fed up with this jeep, its harder to work on than mine, but i feel bad because my brother doesnt have the $$ to have it fixed. What do you guys think? Is there something else holding that axle shaft on?
Rust, is what's holding it on.

If you remove the 36mm axle nut and then use a slide hammer puller, you'll most likely destroy the hub/bearing unit. Leave the axle nut in place and use the puller -- that way you're pulling the entire hub rather than just the outer half.

I was trying to do it without that nut removed and let me tell you, that thing is on there tight. I was slamming it hard too, it doesnt help the slide hammer (autozone's loan-a-tool) came bent and i think im bending it more and more everytime i use it i dont even know how. I might just throw it all back together and tell him to take it to the shop, im sick of it i have my own jeep to worry about. Thanks for the help though.

Back