• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problem installing a new stereo in 87 jeep

the_bandit87

NAXJA Forum User
Well, my old AM/FM cassette just crapped out on me (the tape still plays fine, but the radio is touch and go), any how, I picked up a Pioneer MP3 player to replace it with. The problem is, no one makes a wireing harness kit that will work for my Jeep. The radio has been taken to the sound places around here, and they say that they don't make harness for that model any more. One guy tried to say that there was no such thing. The problem is, my stereo is the top of the line one for 87, (I looked it up in the users manual) "Electronically Tuned AM/FM Stereo Casette Radio with Dynamic Noise Reduction". The radio was bought at Canadian Tire, and from what I can tell, the audio places won't touch it, because we didn't buy it from them. One guys almost exact words were "Take it back and buy one of ours". Now I just did a bit in figuring out the wires and stuff, and my grandfather used to do electronics for a living, so I don't think its beyond us to get it to work, but I was just wondering if any one here could help us, because someone has probably gone through the same thing, and maybe there is a harness out there for mine after all. Any ways, any help is apreciated.

My solution to this problem has been just to forget the plug-in harness. For one thing, there's almost no room back there for an extra set of plugs anyway. The new stereo presumably came with a plug-in connector with pigtails. If I were doing this job (and I've done it a few times on a few old Jeeps), I'd identify all the wires in the Jeep, using an ohmmeter if necessary, then just snip the old plug out. Now slip some heat-shrink tubing over each wire, solder the pigtails to the snipped-off wires, and shrink the tubing. You'll have a really sanitary installation that won't fall apart, compact enough to stuff into the limited space. If you have to replace the stereo again in a few years with one that uses a different plug, just snip again and repeat. It really doesn't take that long, and it's very reliable. Just make sure the connections are thoroughly insulated with tubing or tape, because there's a lot of stress when you stuff it in behind the stereo.

Installations I've seen from audio places when there's no harness available have usually used crimp-on splices, and been pretty poor. A soldering iron and some time and you can pretty well guarantee that you'll do better.

Thanks, that was basically the conclusion we came to here too, and luckily my Factory Jeep radio has the key for all the wires printed on the back. I was trying to stay away from sniping the plugs, because, up to this point, the electrical system is 100% untouched stock, but I guess it has to be done. Any ways, thanks again for the help.

I found that wiring harness at a local shop for my 1987 XJ. "Pacific Audio and Alarm" I think. You can find them online easy as well, including ebay. Just shop around. If you cant find one and really want it, PM me and I'll track one down.

The other option is to hit the junkyards and just chop one off the back of an xj there, and its like $4.

-Cal

cal said:
I found that wiring harness at a local shop for my 1987 XJ. "Pacific Audio and Alarm" I think. You can find them online easy as well, including ebay. Just shop around. If you cant find one and really want it, PM me and I'll track one down.

The other option is to hit the junkyards and just chop one off the back of an xj there, and its like $4.

-Cal

I guess I should add, I looked it up under "AMC". :)

-C

Back