• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What year and model for 8.8 diff. with disc brakes???

Elohim1

NAXJA Forum User
Wanting to go to an 8.8 . I called the local junkyard and asked for an 8.8 out of a Ranger with disc brakes. He didnt have one and he searched his other sources via computer and said they all had drums. I thought I have previously read that some of the 8.8's come with disc.

What year (range) and what Ford model do I need to search for at the junkyards to acquire an 8.8 with disc breakes for my 89 cherokee???

Thanks in Advance.

Thanks fellows you guys are great!!!

I have noticed some have locking diffs. at the bone yard. Do these work good or should I get one open and install a detroit ???
I would prefer buying the one with a locking diff. already installed at the boneyard, however I want it to lock , I think I have read some limited slips do not always lock and assume this is what the stock axles have in them.

Mine is getting one from an 05 Explorer SportTrac w/discs and 4.10s w/less than 1K miles on it. Just hafta put in the locker and I'll be set.

Last edited:
skip the factory trash-loc (it's just a lim-slip anyway) and drop a Detroit into it...

Elohim1 said:
Thanks fellows you guys are great!!!

I have noticed some have locking diffs. at the bone yard. Do these work good or should I get one open and install a detroit ???
I would prefer buying the one with a locking diff. already installed at the boneyard, however I want it to lock , I think I have read some limited slips do not always lock and assume this is what the stock axles have in them.
Limited slips NEVER lock, they always slip.
That's just hot rodder talk.

drifto77 said:
Would this be the same for a 91 ?
No, '94 and newer.....
While we're on this subject, The Explorer leaf mounts on the bottom of the axle, cherokees mount on top. By doing this swap, you must relocate the leaf pads? Also, what about shock mounts?

barillms said:
No, '94 and newer.....
While we're on this subject, The Explorer leaf mounts on the bottom of the axle, cherokees mount on top. By doing this swap, you must relocate the leaf pads? Also, what about shock mounts?

Yes, you must relocate the leaf pads and shock mounts? It is an EASY mod. Just be warned that the axle tubes are a little thin so be careful taking the old mounts off and welding the new stuff on.

Guess I need to "brush up" on my welding before I try this one then. Aint welded in YEARS. Thought I heard somewhere that it was "bolt in".

drifto77 said:
Guess I need to "brush up" on my welding before I try this one then. Aint welded in YEARS. Thought I heard somewhere that it was "bolt in".

No. Definitly not bolt in. BUT the amount of welding is minimal. All you have to weld on is two leaf pads and two shock mounts. Before you weld make sure to adjust your pinion angle to where you think it might need be (consider future lifts) without any shims in the leafs.

There is a MILLION write-ups on the 8.8 install on here. Try http://www.naxja.org/forum/search.php? and you'll find plenty of your questions answered.

XJ_ranger said:
8.8 bible

read no more

http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/ford88.html

of course if your real hardcore, you'll run a d30 with welded knuckles

i hear they hold up to 37" tires no problem...

Thanks for the info XJ ranger. That is a great help going to that site. I now have all the info that I need to get my own 8.8 swap done. Great info to all doing the 8.8 swap.

Kim

85xjwoody said:
Thanks for the info XJ ranger. That is a great help going to that site. I now have all the info that I need to get my own 8.8 swap done. Great info to all doing the 8.8 swap.

Kim

I SECOND THAT !!!

I have a couple more questions.

I have found a 8.8 with 4.10s (what I need) out of a 2000 model explorer for $400.00 at a junkyard. I just want a few more ?'s confirmed before I purchase.

Will this one have the 31 spline for sure ?
Will it matter if the axle is set up for ABS on the explorer since my 89XJ is not?

Please feel free to add anymore information I may need to know before I purchase.

Thanks everyone.

Elohim1 said:
I SECOND THAT !!!

I have a couple more questions.

I have found a 8.8 with 4.10s (what I need) out of a 2000 model explorer for $400.00 at a junkyard. I just want a few more ?'s confirmed before I purchase.

Will this one have the 31 spline for sure ?
Will it matter if the axle is set up for ABS on the explorer since my 89XJ is not?

Please feel free to add anymore information I may need to know before I purchase.

Thanks everyone.

It should not matter about the abs. The abs is an electrical plug on top of the 8.8 I plan to just leave it there or zip tie it to the axle tube. As far as the axle you are looking at it should be the 31 spline. I found my 8.8 out of a 99 explorer and it is only going to cost me 150.00 for the axle. It has 3.73 gears and limited slip with only 36,000 miles on it.

Kim.

I just talked to the junk yard, and I can score one for $250. He told me 1994 is DIFFERENT than 1995! Just to warn you, I'm just passing this on. WHAT PART OF THE AXLE HAS 31 SPLINES? The shafts? Why would that matter, you're replacing the whole damn thing.

barillms said:
I just talked to the junk yard, and I can score one for $250. He told me 1994 is DIFFERENT than 1995! Just to warn you, I'm just passing this on. WHAT PART OF THE AXLE HAS 31 SPLINES? The shafts? Why would that matter, you're replacing the whole damn thing.

I know there are two different splines in the 8.25 Chrysler , the one with the more splines being stronger and having a slightly bigger shaft Dia.

I was just wandering if the Ford 8.8 was of the same nature. From what I can tell it is not.

Now I know why Momma got sometimes irritated when I answered here questions with a question.

Again thanks for all those who have helped and responded. I will be picking her up tomorrow.

96 and up explorers have 31 spline AND disk brakes,
don't rely on the trac-lok for your driving needs,
unless the 8.8 has the ratio you want, then drive and decide if
you want a real locker

Lodi Jim said:
96 and up explorers have 31 spline AND disk brakes,

Actually...

I've seen a 94 with disks...

95's and newer for sure...

beware of the Ranger 8.8's... most had 28 (?) splines...

Good thing it's easy to tell the difference between drums and disks right?

:D

Back