• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dumb lug nut question

xuv-this

bondo afficianado
ok. so i had a flat today, and when i loosened the lug nuts, they were stripped! it's that @#&$!!! 2 f***ing peice design!!!
this stupid bulls#!^ this is my third set of lugnuts that have that damn outer tin crap that rounds the F*#% off!!! and they were supposed to be 1 peice!!!!!:mad:
aqnybody know where i can get a set THAT ARE 1 PEICE??????? stupid crap like this is soooo freakin'
frustrating!!!!!!hasta

oh yeah, happy :us: :us: :us: day!

Any good parts store or tire store should carry them, 1/2-20's, solid one piece chrome $1.20 ea, good place will even have the same size that you can use your factory lug wrench with...

Believe it or don't, I got my last batch at Kragen's. I don't know if the Northern Automotive chain has made it out all that way (Checker/Schuck's/Kragen) or not, but if you check and carefully look at the nuts, you should be able to spot the stupid little collar - not only is there usually a visible parting line, but the colours are slightly different.

Meanwhile, any decent local should have them - I just usually get them from K's because I can get more at once (like 25-30 or so) so I have plenty on hand. Considering the rate at which I am probably going to be accumulating Jeeps, it's probably not a bad idea...

Carefully inspect the nuts before you plunk down your dosh - like I said, it's not that hard to spot "capped" nuts when you look.

Oddly enough, I've still got a 3/4" socket with a nut cap frozen into it - and I keep it that way, since it works nicely for "capless" nuts as I come across them. I painted the socket yellow so I can spot it in the drawer easily...

5-90

You can slice the tin off with a sharp chisel, and it will sometimes actually leave the caps on the ends if you do it right. Then you can use an 18 mm. socket on them. This is not a good long-term solution because the nuts will rust fast, and often they are already rusted under the cap, and pretty soon they'll just flake away and eventually you'll need the "hot wrench" to cut them off. But it's useful in a pinch.

xuv-this said:
aqnybody know where i can get a set THAT ARE 1 PEICE??????? stupid crap like this is soooo freakin'
frustrating!!!!!!
Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Advance Auto (a.k.a. Checkers, Shucks, or Kragan, depending on what part of the country you live in), NAPA ... or any local speed shop.

It's actually MUCH easier to find solid ones than it is to find the OEM type with the stainless cap crimped on.

thanks, guys. i guess i just gotta look around. the last set was supposed to be 1 peice, but obviously weren't. i guess i just had a run of bad luck.

The trick is to find solid ones that are the same nut size as the OEM ones. The aftermarket ones that come in the 4 packs or 25 packs w/locks are larger. One of our local tire shops, Jack Williams, has them in solid-chrome-correct size in a big box where you reach in and grab a handfull or as many as you need.

Quadratec, chrome lug nut #92806.300 @ $1.49 ea.

Here's another dumb question...the lug nuts are conical, but is the bulge important? I see that my stock ones are bulged, but they don't really seat that deeply on the rim. This is a pic of the non bulge:
4920.jpg

and bulged:
5008.jpg

The "bulge" isn't as important as the fact of the conical seat, since most wheels are centred by locating the hub, and then "nailed down" by the conical seat driving into a mating conical recess on the wheel.

Unless the seats in your wheels are really pounded out, the width of the seat doesn't matter as much as you think (and if the seats are that far gone, you should probably replace the wheels anyhow.)

Just a couple thoughts...

5-90

Thayer said:
Here's another dumb question...the lug nuts are conical, but is the bulge important? I see that my stock ones are bulged, but they don't really seat that deeply on the rim. This is a pic of the non bulge:
4920.jpg

and bulged:
5008.jpg
The bulge is there to get a wider seating area against the rim. They use that on the lug nuts that take a 3/4" socket (like the upper one in your pics). The lower one I would bet takes a 13/16" socket, and the extra material provides just a bit more metal to seat against the rim.

I've never seen any that accept a 3/4" socket that don't have the bulge.

I am using the "open-end" style that I tend to collect every time I get near a Ford truck or car in the junk-yard. They are user-friendly in that you can look and see how much thread engagement you have, and they are normally FREE. I mean, who actually wants lug-nuts? I use this style because I have had wheels come off due to lack of thread engagement-reallly sucks during rush hour traffic and you are the reason for the hold up.

I would strongly suggest McGard lug nuts. They have a lifetime warranty against rusting. Since I live in the salt belt, with my 00 XJ, I had already gone through 2 set of lug nuts by 03. I now swap tires about twice a month between highway and offroad tires and they have held up super. They have worked well between steel and aluminum wheels. I do also use a bit of antisieze on the lugs to minimize wear and seizing.

McGard is available from Summit Racing and Pep Boys that I know of. I know two other XJ's using them and the owners are very happy with the quality.

Back