• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

width question.

ipkyss

NAXJA Forum User
Heres the deal. I got rid of my dana 30 and 35s. I am now looking a a 44 with 37s maybe even 38s. Looking for an opion on how wide to go. I am at 10" lift with a clayton longarm. With the dana 30 and 35s, I was rubbing the control arms. So how wide should i make the dana 44. I want to run stock shafts for easy of replacement. I already have a 8.8 in the rear, that i wanted to run wheel adapters on to change it to chevy 6 lug. Would make it about 62- 63 wide.

option 1 run a waggy 44 upfront with different wheels front and back, keep a wheel adapter for a spare. about 60"

option 2 cut down the longside of a 78 f-250 hp dana 44, 6 lug outters, because i have all new 6 lug outters and highsteer. and get wheel adapters for the rear 8.8. about 64" wide.

option 3 run the hp 44 full width, 6 lug outters and find a new rear end. about 67" wide.

I have the waggy 44, a 78 f-250 hp44, a gm 12 bolt 65" wide rear. don't know how strong that is, but know its c-clip 3" tubes, or I can start search the junk yards for a different rear. I don't have any money into the 8.8 yet, other than buying it and the u joint adapter.

I am also in New england with lots of trees...

Heres my 2 cents...

1) I wouldn't do a waggy 44, its low pinion, and you said alot of trees up there so im assuming alot of the trails are all backwoods with downed trees and whatnot. Might need some more ground clearance?

3) Id do that one, but maybe consider getting a f250 Dana 60, but then again that'd be 8 lug..maybe a built 9" but once again thats low pinion and in the way.

But if I were you, id drop the lift down a bit, run full widths for some stability and slap on some 38's if you are ready for them. Stock axles probably won't last long though. But thats a whole nother thing that I dont want to get into.

i actually have a f-250 dana 60 too. Just didn't really want to go 8 lug. or that heavy. As far as the lift. 8 and 35s on the stock width axles seemed just right for me. I was going to go up a little more for the 37-38

Back