• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing Power window motor on a 86 XJ

Frank G

NAXJA Forum User
Well after a year or so of a super slow/struggling Passenger side power window motor, I needed to pull the window up with a plyers. So i finally bought a new one ($78/ NAPA/ remaufactured) Dealership wanted $200+.

Now I pulled up the door panel and saw that the motor was rivited in (WHY, I HAVE NO CLUE, considering this is the only part you generally ever need to place in the door, THANKS AMC!!!

So how exactly am I supposed to get the old one out and the new one in, I have NO access to a rivit gun.

Thanks

My 89 XJ has the same problem with the drivers side only going down halfway and then making a crunch sound I will get round to fixing it soon I would use a drill to drill out the pot rivits and then just use screws to refit the new motor
Good luck

Bose

No ones replaced the power window motor

No ones replaced their power window motor????

i went from maunual to automatic. the regulators were rivited in. BOSE gave you the right answer. drill them out and repalce with nut, bolt and lock washer. easy

The manual ones in my 86 didn't work right either, the regulators were shot. I have a neighbor who works for an auto glass shop and had him replace them along with the DS window I busted using that "pull it up with the pliers" trick. Your problem may be more than just the motor, the regulator mech. may be bad as well. It may well be better just to take it to a glass shop and have them do it.... then if they break the glass it'll be their problem :rolleyes: Then again I don't have the patience to fool with any glass, I always seem to break it.
Mike B.

The whole regulator assemble can be bought in parts. Usually its just the helical coil inside that rots and breaks (which can be bought separately). Drill or grind the rivets out, repalce with stainless screws and nuts. Did this to 3 XJs.

XJguy

Back