• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brakes leaking fluid..

wesbailey

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i just replaced the pads in my rear brakes yesterday and today i noticed it was leaking ALOT of fluid from the pass side. its coming out of the adjuster hole. any ideas ?

Did you bleed the brakes when you replaced the shoes? (BTW, drum brakes have "shoes," disc brakes have "pads.") You may have gotten a bit of sediment trapped under the seat of the bleeder screw so it's not tightening down completely. Try, in order

1. Tighten bleeder screw
2. Remove bleeder screw, clean screw and seat in wheel cylinder, replace and re-bleed brakes
2. Buy a new wheel cylinder and just replace the whole enchilada.

[EDIT]Wait -- when you wrote "adjuster hole" I envisioned the bleeder screw. If you mean the slot through which you access the star wheel, then if fluid is dripping from there it means your wheel cylinder is shot and when the thicker new shoes pushed the piston back into the cylinder it's trying to seal on a pitted surface.

This is why it is recommended to always replace the wheel cylinders when replacing brake shoes.

Adding to what Eagle says, I note that last time I went to the parts store, I found a rebuild kit for a wheel cylinder was something like 9 bucks, and a new bleeder screw was a couple more, and a whole new wheel cylinder with a new bleeder in it was about 12 bucks. The up side of being cursed with cheap rear brakes (as ours are) is that they're cheap to fix too.

The cylinders get rusted and corroded over time and your pushing them back in for the new shoes might have damaged the seals in the cylinders, ripped em up, easy to just replace the cylinders, may have to do new shoes now though. I dont think that brake fluid on them does them any good...

Confirming what Matthew wrote. It used to be cost-effective to rebuild wheel cylinders, and I still have the hones and stuff. But the cost of kits is up, the cost of wheel cylinders is down, and it just doesn't make sense.

Buy new ones and you'll be far better off.

Back