• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yet Another Overheating Question

Boulderitch

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,
My '96 Sport 4.0L is running at/over 210 F., and PINGING going up steep grades. I understand they operate at 195-220. I've read A LOT of posts on tests/fixes that did or did not work. The (open) cooling system is in good to excellent condition (i.e. flushed & maintained), but stock. While running hot may be 'normal', pre-ignitioning is harmful, no?

Questions: Is there another way to alleviate Ping besides cooling? (Assuming 220 is normal).
- How can I target my cooling 'bottleneck' and get the most bang for the buck? Is metal 2/3 core rad a 'no loser'?

- I didn't see a thread discussing separating the tranny cooler from the radiator. Is there any credence to this option?
- What about ditching the fan/clutch for a 2000+CFM electric?

Thanks in advance for any input!
(Newbie) Boulderitch

PS
When I beat this I'll post (my) solution.

Mods/Upgrades:
Home made FIPK w/ K&N Filter
Aftermarket Intake/exhaust manifold
Wheels & Tires
(2" suspension lift/shocks on calendar)

Have you confirmed the temp with a accurate thermometer? My dash gauge in my 93 was off about 15 degrees when I replaced the sender with a new oem one (confirmed by infrared, and analog). I went to the junkyard and found a matching one out of a 92 and it's back where it's supposed to be. It's always good to check to be sure! Unless of course, it's boiling over! As for the pinging, it could be a result of a lean A/F mixture. Check the O2 sensor, MAP, fuel pressure and regulator for proper function. Good luck.

well, i think the fact that its pinging should be enought to confirm that it overheats? correct me if im wrong.

I could / should do all the checks, but I''m pretty sure of the symptoms. It only pings when it's real hot and under a load.
I'll probably just do the obvious things first - as far as I know all cooling parts are original, except t-stat. (3 core rad, h2O pump...)
After a long list of parts and the same overheating, I'll move on to better and braver things.
Since I've found no (NAXJA) threads re: getting the 250 degree tranny cooler out from in front of the rad, I may tackle that one then share my story with y'all.

lol, ask him if he still has it:) that has been posted two years ago.

Back