• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical connectors

falcon556

NAXJA Forum User
I'd like to know if there is a source for the various electrical connectors in the XJ.
The dealer wants to sell a complete harness and the junk yard don't want to bother with such a small item.
Is there a place where I can buy brand new connectors?

Most of the connectors are "Delco Weatherpack" style, and those can be had in the HELP! section at any well-stocked local. They've got (usually, but sometimes grey) black bodies, the male connectors have the towers that mate into the female sockets.

They cost anywhere from two bucks to six bucks a side.

If you pillage around online, you can probably find them in larger packs (I know MSD carries them, and you can probably find them at Summit and Jeg's) but I've yet to find anything in a true "bulk" assortment that would be useful.

The connectors are good tho - I use them for my own electrical mods as well.

Oh - if you go talk to your parts guys, and they don't know what "Weatherpacks" are, it might be time to find a new local...

5-90

Before I posted the question I checked with two auto parts chains and the dealer.
The autoparts have nothing like it, the dealer says harness maybe, connectors no way.
From what you are saying, it is possible to find aftermarket parts.
I'll keep looking, thanks.

It's very possible, because I get them all the time around here. Anywhere that stocks the HELP! line from Motormite should have the things on the shelf - both with pigtails, and without.

If you can't do that, look up "Weatherpacks" at Jeg's, Summit, or MSD - I know they all have them.

What sort of trouble are you having, anyhow?

5-90

I'm kind of partial to certain ford connectors. They're not as universal as the Weatherpacks, they all look different. But, my dealer stocks both the hardshell plastic housings and the wire ends with gasket installed. Nice thing about 'em is you don't have to have the pain in the butt Weatherpack disassembly tool. The Ford parts use a pick to pull out a locking tab, which both orients the connector and blocks the release pins. Once the tab is out any sharp object will release the locking pins and the wire and terminal is out.

If you go to a dealer to check 'em out they should have a glossy book with only connectors in it, broken down by number of terminals.

'Sfunny, but I only need that tool when I'm taking things to bits. I don't mind, since I don't have to do it too often - and I've been able to run low-voltage underwater through Weatherpacks without any trouble. I just don't trust Ford connectors to do it - if I can't get it in a Weatherpack, I might use a Deustch, but I'm more likely to redesign the part involved.

All in all, I have to admit that the WP is probably the most reliable connector I've ever had occasion to use, the easiest to work with, and the most "install and forget" friendly. I'll stick to them, thanks.

5-90

Back