• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front locker handling questions....

BeJay1981

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to put a locker in the front of my xj but have a few questions.

I know that on the street the locker up front should have no affect on handeling or turning becuase there would be no power applied from the driveshaft correct?

But offroad, are there times that you wish your front wasnt locked? Like you may have gotten over an obstacle or uphill climb easier if it was open? Do the tires tend to drive you down hill if your trying to climb up hills that are at an angle?

BeJay1981 said:
I know that on the street the locker up front should have no affect on handeling or turning becuase there would be no power applied from the driveshaft correct?
Correct
Like you may have gotten over an obstacle or uphill climb easier if it was open?
Yes, there have been times when it would have been easier if I could have steered without as much effort. That is probably at least partly due to my power steering pump getting tired
Do the tires tend to drive you down hill if your trying to climb up hills that are at an angle?
Yes, soft side hills are different now but with the locker in the rear I don't need to be in 4wd as often for some of the side hills.

All in all, I love my front lockers! You just have to be aware that it changes things.

Ron
00 XJ
87 XJ locked f/r

as long as there is no power to the driveshaft you won't notice locker on the street. my locker in 4-lo is 95% transparent off road,when in 4-hi is when the steering gets heavy. i think it's from driveshaft speed . as far as off road characteristics go, i think you will find positive out weighs the negatives for sure(i run lockers front and rear) front end won't "drive you downhill" but you may break traction and have side slip if it is muddy or some similar situation. biggest problem i have seen is tendency for people to stay in the throttle a little too long with front end off the ground(usually one front tire) and then you have an easier rollover possibility. just let off and back up for a different line maybe, and you will be ok. best option may be to buy an ARB or something similar, locked when you want it to be, off the rest of the time.

BeJay1981 said:
But offroad, are there times that you wish your front wasnt locked? Like you may have gotten over an obstacle or uphill climb easier if it was open? Do the tires tend to drive you down hill if your trying to climb up hills that are at an angle?

It's better offroad with the front locker. I've never wished that I didn't have the front locked. Better traction in the front is a good thing.

ive never seen a disadvantage to having the front locked going up an obstacle. only time on the trail an auto front locker is annoying is on tight turns or switchbacks, as it either fights the steering or just pushes straight depending on the surface.

Love the fully locked front end on my rig. Although....I plan on an install of a Tera-2-lo kit when the garage is finished (building new one!!) There are times that you want the low range and still need the 'open' steering up front.
Rick R

Thanks for all the great info.

I am planning on goin ahead with it. An ARB would be awesome but it sure is a lot of coin. I think im going to stick with an automatic type.

From what everyone has said it sounds like there is a definite learning curve, just as with any major modification.

I've already got the lift, tires, gears, etc done so its time for lockers. Well, trac-loc rear but i'm ok with "3 and half wheel drive". :)

Back