• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

off the wall

Grifter144

NAXJA Forum User
ok so maybe i'm tryin to cut corners.....err..cost..

you all know how some of the fabricators are making unibody frame tie in brackets for their nonwinch/ winch bumpers, say you already had a set of tow hooks installed do you all think it would be ok to overlook the fabricators tie in bracket kits and just use your tow hook brackets to help tie in the bumper. would it be strong enough to with stand a winch pull? i think i have read about guys building their own bumpers off the tow hook brackets which would lead me to belive that it is strong enough just wondering as i am in the process of either buying a bumper or making one...
Thanx Maier

Grifter144 said:
would it be strong enough to with stand a winch pull?

If you are reffering to the tow hook brackets and not the bumper you are picturing, I don't see why not considering the winch pull pressure wouldn't be much different than, say, a tow strap's pull pressure.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I'd assume.

yeah, i know that the bumper will be able to with stand it, yet some of these companies offer these bumper tie ins, jcroffroad i know of for sure, i think nates4x4 does also. the brackets are supposed to ensure that when you pull on the bumper the load is distrubuted through out the frame. so if you had tow hook brackets it would make sense you could not purchase the tie in brackets as the t.hook brackets will be performing the same job..right?
Maier

Right, as long as the tow hook brackets are tied into the bumper properly. Most times aftermarket bumpers don't utilize the tow hook brackets, they have their own setup for frame tie-ins... but if you were making a custom bumper, then I don't see why you wouldn't just use the tow hook brackets as a starting point.

Back