• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fairlead Orientation on Winch

LBEXJ

NAXJA Member #721
Have another question about proper winch installation ...

The way it appears in the manual, the fairlead is to be oriented so the cable pulls from the outer edge of the circumference of the spool. I would assume this is so the pressure pulls down on the winch instead of pulling upward on the mounting bolts (at least it makes sense in my head).

Is this a critical issue ...

I had my local welding shop weld the bottom plate on my bumper and they mounted it a little too low respective to the fairlead. I gave them a drawing, but they did not notice this detail until after they had welded the plate in. As it is right now, the cable pulls at about and inch below the centerline of the spool. Should I insert a thick enough filler plate (about an inch thick) to raise the winch? If so, should this material be steel or can it be aluminum?

Thanks ...

Les

I am going to assume this is a critical issue and have a steel filler plate made up.

Les

I don't think it makes any difference as long as the fairlead rollers are within the top or bottom line of the spool itself. If you look at a synthetic rope fairlead which has no rollers, just polished guides it has alot thinner opening then a roller fairlead.

I am using a Hause Fairlead with the wire rope that came with the Winch (Warn M8000). There is no mention of this "detail" other than what is presented in two diagrams that show Winch Mounting Options. Since it is not specified, maybe you are right Rich.

Both of these diagrams show the winch mounted using one of their mounting plates. One mounting option is called a "face mount" IIRC, and the Fairlead and Winch mount share the same bolt holes (2). This places the opening of the Fairlead at the outer edge of the spools circumference. The other ... called a "bottom mount" shows the same mounting plate with the fairlead opening low respective to the spool.

Maybe I'm just reading too much into this ... :dunno: ... but it just seems strange the Winch uses (4) 3/8" x 1.25" Grade 5 bolts to hold this thing in.

Thanks RichP for your input ...

Les

Les,

You may have already thought of this but....Is their a 1-800 # in any of the paperwork (I'll check the web too)to call their customer service Dept? I would think they should be able to tell you. Probably won't get anybody to answer the phone till Tues though with the 4th of July. HTH

This is on Warns site:

Last edited:
Haleyes said:
Les,

You may have already thought of this but....Is their a 1-800 # in any of the paperwork (I'll check the web too)to call their customer service Dept? I would think they should be able to tell you. Probably won't get anybody to answer the phone till Tues though with the 4th of July. HTH
Actually ... no I did not think of that. That is a good idea. Thanks for reminding me of this.

I guess I'm trying to see the forest ... :doh:

Les

Back