• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mr. Coordinator - Informal Stuff

Mike in NJ

NAXJA Life Member
NAXJA Member
Richard/Jeff:

As you're putting together the official run list for the week, you might want to mention some of the informal stuff that's being talked about for the week(end) early or the week after, and include it in our formal promotions.

This might make even more folks salivate, especially those who have the luxury of extra time, or those who can't quite fit into our regular schedule.

For example, you know that Alex (Handlebars) is talking up a White Rim run. Even though I'm leading an "official" part-way ride coming in Shafer and headed out past Musselman Arch to Washer Woman Arch/Lathrop Canyon to the River, this should be of great interest to anyone else who can't make the scheduled shorty.

Since I expect to get there over a week early (assuming no en-route surprises like last year) and play for a bit, by that first weekend I'm expecting to maybe hit Needles/Elephant Hill/Confluence, or maybe Chicken Corners/Lockhart Basin/side trail to the River if there's any interest. (Assuming that none of these make the official list)

One Ton is talking about some secret 21 Road stuff, but that's apparently by invitation only! ;). Some of us are even talking about the feasibility of a little "day" trip over to Telluride!!!

I'm sure there are some other guys seriously thinking about side stuff that won't fit into the official schedule. It wouldn't hurt to mention these tentative plans and give folks even less of an excuse to stay home.

Just a thought . . . . (another of many. many Moab ones! :D )

Mike in NJ :patriot:

some secret 21 Road stuff

Well, there's nothing secret about it there chief. Anyone is allowed to come out and play or watch. With it being so dang close to Moab, I thought it would be a good little warm up for those of us heading from points east. Folks heading from points west are more than welcome to pass up the 191 exit and come out for a little fun too.

I'm starting to look forward to the informal stuff as much as the event itself, this is gonna be a good year.

Sean

Well, the White Rim trip was suggested as an option for people on the first weekend. We also talked about someone leading a day or two in CO on that first weekend for those that would be interested. It would be nice if some people could hit a high pass or two, but the weather and trail conditions are too unpredictable in Oct to plan anything. The 21 Road idea is a good one, and so is anything else that someone might volunteer to lead on that first weekend.

As far as including more runs in the official announcements, we have a problem with that. The BLM is making us pay $4 per person per day for every shceduled event run. We wanted to make this event free, but there is no way we can absorb that cost, so we'll have to pass it on to the participants. We are looking at charging a flat $5 per vehicle per trail run, to make it easier, and absorbing any additional expense to cover the per person fee. This will be for any run on the event schedule.

If anyone plans to do a run on their own, like Alex doing an overnighter on White Rim, or Mike taking some folks to Elephant Hill and the Confluence, that isn't part of the event schedule and so there won't be any fees. We also aren't going to schedule a run to Helldorado, but I'm sure a few of us will go run it one day. We'll leave it open for people to do some runs on their own, we don't expect that everyone will want to go on one of the scheduled runs every day, but we can't include those runs on the event schedule and comply with our permit requirements.

So, if some of you have an idea of somewhere you'd like to go, and it's not on the event trail schedule, this is the place to talk about it and set things up. The official trail schedule will be posted in plenty of time for everyone to make plans.

$4 per person, per "official" trail????

Sorry Richard, I had no idea that BLM was going to ding us like that - I thought it was only for "special" areas like the Sand Flats entrance to Hells Revenge (which was why we were skipping it this year).

You're right then, informal stuff needs to be kept informal and we'll just talk it up here or at the campfire.

I do have a question though - for my Shafer run. Since the last part of that trail is in Canyonlands N.P., normally that requires the payment of the National Park entrance fee (at least that's good for a week at all NP's in the area!). Is the BLM also going to hit us to traverse the first part of the trail coming in from Rt. 279? Seems pretty greedy.

What is this world coming to? :(

You can't even see a crappy movie for $4. Don't complain. The alternative these days is probably trail closure. How the hell did NAXJA get so big? Any of you guys making salaries yet?

Nay

By the way, I would know the answers to these things, except that Woody never sent me my damn membership renewal, and so I have no clue. Or did you guys have a special vote to make me an honorary member for life and Woody forgot to inform me of that, too :) ?

Nay

Re: Shafer Trail

Mike, Just start at the top and work down. That way you pay the Park Service fee and that should be enough. You can truthfully say you paid the fee. Or you can start at the bottom and exit out the bottom. That way you never go thru the PS toll booth.:D

Re: Shafer

Yeah Danno, but the best way to experience that scenic ride is in from the Potash plant, out to Musselman's and beyond, and then back out up the switchbacks through the N.P. exit (and side stuff on the way out like Dead Horse Point). It really don't matter to me about the $$$ - I'll probably have a week's pass already from the N.P.

And, I'm by myself, so another $4 isn't a big deal. Especially for those of us in the East, where 4WD parks are $20 - 35 (plus passenger fees) a DAY to play.

I was just reacting to the impact for a family heading out everyday during the week, $4 a head starts to add up quickly and it may hurt attendance.

Don't deny that BLM and NPS need some assistance, but this seems a bit excessive - a per vehicle rate would be fairer IMHO.

Whatever . . .

BLM fees

We're doing a per vehicle rate. It will be $5 per rig for event trail runs, and we'll cover the difference if there is more cost because of more passengers. We want it to be as painless as possible for everyone attending, but we do need to pay the fees, and we think we can make the $5 per vehicle work. If anyone wants to pay more, that's fine, too. Also, be sure to send in your Sweepstakes XJ tickets, that's how we hope to pay for everything, and we want to make a nice donation to the Utah Shared Access Alliance.

If anyone goes out exploring on their own, there won't be any BLM fees. We're trying to provide something for everyone, each day, but there are so many great places to go in Moab that everyone may not run a trail every day.

Mike G.

That's for sure the most scenic route. Just a suggestion to save $$ :eek: I'd sure like to see Musselman's Arch. Haven't made it to this point. Musselman was a dentist in Moab and he heard about the arch from some locals and prevailed upon one to take him out to it. It's not exactly on the beaten path! When he got back he started running trips out to it and gave it his name. Kind of pissed off a lot of the locals who had known about it for years. NOW you know the rest of the story, whether you wanted to or not. :D

Danno:

Actually, the arch is not that far from the base of the Shafer switchbacks. Head on over before the week gets under way with Handlebars' White Rim run - or ride along with my Shafer run (whenever Mr. Trail Boss has scheduled it).

Wanna do Elephant Hill/Confluence again? Or did you ride on down last month?

Back