• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

moving jeep without rear driveshaft?

85xjwoody

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all. I hope that I put this in the right forum since it deals with stock parts. I am in thr process of replacing my rear d35 with the 8.8 and have my rear driveshaft off and my front left the rotor and caliper is off also for replacing. Can I start my jeep and move it out of my garage without the rear driveshaft on and with only the front right brake still being on to stop me or am I looking for problems? I need to get the wifes car in there so I can change the brakes. If I need the brakes put back together I will go and get the new parts first and put them on but will I still be able to drive my jeep in and out of the garage without the driveshaft on? I have an 85 wagoneer with the 2.5 engine, 904 tranny, and 229 select trac tranfer case. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Kim.:)

You will need to put the front brakes back together if you plan to use the brake pedal to stop you. If you don't it will spit the caliper piston out along with the brake fluid.

JerryV said:
You will need to put the front brakes back together if you plan to use the brake pedal to stop you. If you don't it will spit the caliper piston out along with the brake fluid.

Thanks JerryV. I will put the brakes back together this afternoon. I still need to know about the rear driveshaft being off on my setup will it cause me problems or with it in 4wd will it move without my tranfer case giving me problems without the driveshaft being on the rear. Thanks again.

Kim.

there are no problems to driving it with just one driveshaft. Put the lever into 4 Hi (part-time) and go. You don't even need to rebuild the front brake. Just tap the brake enough to take it out of park and then use the e-brake for stopping. Go slowly and expect a good amount of torque-steer (or whatever you call the wheels fighting eachother at slow speed and hard turning under power)

edit: on second thought, do something to prevent the piston from spitting out.

Last edited:
kubtastic said:
there are no problems to driving it with just one driveshaft. Put the lever into 4 Hi (part-time) and go. You don't even need to rebuild the front brake. Just tap the brake enough to take it out of park and then use the e-brake for stopping. Go slowly and expect a good amount of torque-steer (or whatever you call the wheels fighting eachother at slow speed and hard turning under power)

Thanks. Will mine act differently because I have select trac? You mentioned put the shifter in part time but I don't have a part time. I have a switch that goes from 2wd to 4wd and a lever that goes from 4hi to 4lo. Can I just put it in 4wd and drive it out of my garage? I have to back down a small hill and pull onto the street and park. Then do the same thing to get it back into the garage..

Kim.

kubtastic said:
4WD, 4 Hi. I say part-time because you wouldn't move in full-time. Otherwise, it's just the same.

Thanks for the info. Time to drop the rearend back on the ground and get my front put back together so I can move it. Hope it works. I will let everyone know in a little bit.

Kim.

Got the jeep moving again. I moved it a few feet in the garage forward and backward so I know I can bring it out so I can do the brakes on the car. Now I got a wierd electrical problem to deal with that I started a thread for. Thanks to all who posted.

Kim.

Back