• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

86 MJ Info

nhrocker

Jackstand wheeler
I finally got around to checking out an MJ that's been for sale across the street from me for a couple years. So far all I know is that it says it's an 86, it's 2wd, rusted rocker panels, driver's door is pretty damaged (it's been sitting partially in a little garage and the door has been swinging into the Jeep, pushing the driver's door in a couple inches), it's a stick, and the lady that lives there says it runs well. The guy who owns it will be home later and I'm going to talk to him about it if it's worth it. The for sale sign on it says $350...

Anyone care to enlighten me on what to look at and if it might be worth picking up? If I get it I know I'll have to do a 4wd conversion and I don't know how easy it would be to do that and maybe switch to an auto tranny. I've never had to mess with drivelines before, so I've got no clue what it's even running right now.

Any help or advice would be great! Thanks!

Last edited:
Well, after talking with him and looking at it I decided it's more work than I'm interested in right now. It's actually a 87, with an I6 cylinder and a 5 speed tranny. He tried to start it, which it did, but it also backfired and then lurching and making some pretty bad sounding noises. It also needs a lot more body work. He probably would have come down on the price, but I don't have the time or money to do all the work it would need. Thanks to all that looked at the thread!

An '87 6-cylinder is ripe for the upgrade! Sounds like a great wheeling project rig if someone were so inclined.

Well if anyone wants it, or would be willing to store it and give me a hand fixing it up as a trail rig... :D

Like I said, it did start up, just not easily or well...It's got quite a bit of "character" (good ol'NH rust :laugh3: )

Back