• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wobbley steering

Maz

NAXJA Forum User
1989, 4.0, AW4, 280K miles, 215/75/15, stock.

Steering is whobely and “feels” loose, little feel of the road, 18-wheelers passing by really through her off. Gets scary.

500 miles on a new steering stabilizer.
Brand new OEM power steering pump.
Original Steering box.
Original bushings, but are in acceptable condition (checked on an alignment rack)

Where do I go from here? What else do I need to look into?

I am thinking the steering stabilizer went bad. This one was put in by a shop. I have no idea of the brand. I want to get one from NAPA. Is there a particular brand to ask for? Part number?

TIA ... Maz

BTW, if it's the steering box, what are my options?
Dealer wants $500+core
NAPA wants $200+core
IIRC, they can't be adjusted, or is not recommended to.

If bushings, the shop wants $700, as some bushings can't or should not be replaced by themselves, but with the coponents thay are attached to (pressed in). I forget the names of those :huh:

_Maz

adjust the steering box. I forgot how off the top of my head, swomebody else will chime in, i know there is a set screw and another bold you must tighten, but i donot remember exactly. good luck

Before you go mucking about with the steering box, check the track bar. They do wear out, and when that happens the steering "wanders" alarmingly.

Eagle said:
Before you go mucking about with the steering box, check the track bar. They do wear out, and when that happens the steering "wanders" alarmingly.
Yes, the steering wandering is a good description. The steering behavior is very similar to not having or having a bad steering stabilizer.

I know what track bar is, but how do they wear out and how do I check for the wear?

Thanks ... Maz

I have been in a battle with death wobble for years. Some of my routine checks are the track bar, all the bushings, and I have installed 2 steering stabilzers and it seemed to control the issue with 36's. I doubt it is the box and if it is call a junkyard you could probably pick one up for $60. Might be worth getting an alignment, XJs can be very picky about camber and caster. And the shop will check the bushings for you.

If it's just started, get a big pair of channellocks.

At each TRE, compress gently with the channellocks. You should see about 1/16" or less of compression, and it should rebound readily when you let go. If it compresses more, or it don't bounce back, it's shot and you need new.

Checking ball joints is tougher - but the also last longer.

This will work for checking nearly any "ball"-type joint, so you can also use it for trackbar joints and stuff like that. You don't need to lift the vehicle, but it helps (especially if you can unload the joint before you compress it.)

The track bar has, as I recall, ball-type joints. It's job is to keep the axle located (side-to-side? as I recall) WRT the "frame," so there is some articulation needed there. If the joints on the trackbar go south, the bar will allow the axle to "wander" slightly, and that will make your steering wander as well.

If you want to check the steering box for freeplay, lift up the front wheels and have an assistant turn the steering wheel back and forth slightly while you watch the Pitman arm (or find a way to turn the lower end of the steering column shaft yourself, for instant feedback.) There should be almost NO free movement between the input shaft moving and the Pitman shaft following. This can be adjusted for with the arrangement on top - the nut around the big set-screw-looking-bolt. I'd have to look up which way to turn it for what effect - I don't usually have to play with it...

5-90

Maz said:
Yes, the steering wandering is a good description. The steering behavior is very similar to not having or having a bad steering stabilizer.

I know what track bar is, but how do they wear out and how do I check for the wear?

Thanks ... Maz
Since some people don't even use a stabilizer, and the one on my '88 is the original with a tad over 250,000 miles on it, I feel safe in saying that's not your problem.

Easiest way to check the track bar is with a friend. Park with the wheels straight ahead and the engine running in Park (or neutral if you have manual tranny). Set parking brake and block the wheels. Have your friend move the steering wheel back and forth across the center position maybe 1/8 turn to either side, not more than 1/4 turn each way. The idea is to load the joints, but only to where the tires are ready to turn, but don't actually turn.

While your assistant does this, you crawl under the front with a good light and look at the joint on each end of the track bar. The usual culprit is the tie rod end on the upper (frame - driver's side) end. If you see ANY movement in that joint relative to the frame bracket, there's the problem. Sometimes it helps to grab the TRE -- you can sometimes feel it flex even if you can't see it.

Also check the bracket where it attaches to the frame. If the bracket loosens up, the whole assembly will move and have the same effect on steering as a bad track bar.

Thanks guys with all the detailed troubleshooting tips.

I'll be going to my friend's shop (brake/alignment shop), and will ask him for all these checks.

_Maz

P.S. Noticed the steering box has a leak coming from the top of the box, if that means anything. I remember reading that there is a later year XJ/ZJ steering box that's much better than my '89. Is that true and if so, which years? Thinking in case it comes to steering box, I might as well put a better one in there.

Kejtar said:
If you need a trackbar I think I got at least one stock one laying around that you can have. It is in a decent condition.
Remi
Thanks Remi. It's very generous of you. I am burning the midnight oil learning about suspension before I go to the shop tomorrow. Pathetic how little I know about suspension. I already learned that I can get resonably priced suspension parts from Quadratec (about 1/3 to 1/2 of what was quoted to me. I may even be able to change some of them myself!

I have also learned that by using the phrase "Wobbley steering", I may have given the impression that my XJ has symptoms of death wobble, which she does not. As a last effort to describe the problem I can say that I feel like I am driving on air with very little feel of the road. My jeep will go up to 80 mph without any vibrations or shaking.

Back to "search"

BTW, I find it impressive how much you all are willing to help each other.

_Maz

Update below.

Reporting success. I went to my friend's shop and we checked all the of the steering and suspension componets. There was a lot of cracked bushings everywhere, but nothing showed any play, and everything was nice and centered. The only questionable component was the track bar which had about 1/8" of play. I decided to leave that alone for now as I don't know if I need to replace it for a lift. We concluded that the steering box is the cause of my steering problems. A few hours later (and a few dollars poorer), my XJ has a "reman" steering box. Wow, all I can say is what a humango difference. I can finally feel the road under the tires. I am a happy clam tonight.

_Maz

Back