• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some Tranny mounts thoughts :D

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK... so I picked up the other day a tranny mount from kragen... it was pretty inexpensive ($38) and looked decent enough. When I put it in, my XJ hated it..... It gave me an odd sudder/vibration effect (hard to decribe). So I pulled the new one out and compared it to the old one... and I saw some differences but I put that off on the old one being worn (the differences were height and angle).

Then I put the old one in... and go to the dealers to pickup an oem one (cost me only $45) and I noticed simlar differences:

Biggest thing that I saw was that the oem one is angled: one edge is not the same height as the other (about 1/4" to almost 1/2" difference). This ends up giving the tranny and the shaft a nice downward angle.
Also the Kragen rubber seemed to be very HARD which probably resulted in some extra vibratiosn being transferred to the body.

In any case, I put the new oem one in and my XJ couldn't be happier :D

Kejtar

Kejtar said:
OK... so I picked up the other day a tranny mount from kragen... it was pretty inexpensive ($38) and looked decent enough. When I put it in, my XJ hated it..... It gave me an odd sudder/vibration effect (hard to decribe). So I pulled the new one out and compared it to the old one... and I saw some differences but I put that off on the old one being worn (the differences were height and angle).

Then I put the old one in... and go to the dealers to pickup an oem one (cost me only $45) and I noticed simlar differences:

Biggest thing that I saw was that the oem one is angled: one edge is not the same height as the other (about 1/4" to almost 1/2" difference). This ends up giving the tranny and the shaft a nice downward angle.
Also the Kragen rubber seemed to be very HARD which probably resulted in some extra vibratiosn being transferred to the body.

In any case, I put the new oem one in and my XJ couldn't be happier :D

Kejtar

The one I got from Autozone works excelent. Well it did when I put it in the right way... :D :D I think I paid about what you paid.
The rubber was not too hard.. and Not too soft unlike the old one witch had been bathed in Oil for 5 or six years.. :D

Kejtar said:
Kind if curiuos: was the AutZone one slanted as well?

No. I don't think it was...

I would have used the dealer... but Jeep dealers in Omaha... ummm... suck.
If your vehicle is older than the newest model on the lot.. they aren't to freindly..or helpful.

yes it is slanted If I remember right---the autozone mount, that is why it has to go on a certain way.

offroadman83 said:
yes it is slanted If I remember right---the autozone mount, that is why it has to go on a certain way.

Ok.. it was.. :D

I was in a hurry and stuck it in wrong... actualy forced it in... and it vibed bad... pushed it to fare to the drivers side.. front axel rubbed..

reveresed it.. and bam .. centered no vibes ... nice and smooth.

Back