• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RD 21 on Sunday the 5th?

4ward

NAXJA Forum User
RD 21 on the 5th?

Any of you midwesterners or CO folk interested in this? We could run it all day and then head over to Moab around 5-6 pm. It's only a few minutes off I70 and it's a fun slightly technical trail.

Since I've pretty much got the folks hooked on the wheelin' scene, I'm trying to give them as diverse an experience as possible. So far they've been to Moab, Carnage Canyon (Boulder), Paragon, and in 2 weeks I'll have 'em in Tellico. Sounds like it's time for a family trip to CA:D

Sean

I’m not from the Midwest or CO, so maybe I’m not invited, but I might be willing to come up and run it with you. I think it’s about an hour and a half from Moab, correct?

Well, I suppose I could open the invite to everyone :rolleyes:

It typically takes me about 2 hours to get there from Junction, but I'm always towing.

Sean

I live in Grand Junction where 21 rd is and have done it a few times. I'd be willing to hit along with quite a few other jeepers out here if you guys want to run it on either Sun the 5th or the sun after NAXJA, but i do the 8-5 mon-fri thing so i won't be able to join ya if you do it on a mon, tues or wed.

Wally

Well, if I wasn't such a barkeater, I would've put the correct date down. I meant for it to be Sun. the 5th :doh: I'll contact the moderator and see if I can get the title changed. The only day I plan on missing for this event is going to be the last day.

Sean

Hmmmmm........that's kind of the long way home, but I may be in. After seeing Brent's Cheromanche rocker though, :D

Oh man would I!!! I've wanted to run that trail for a long time. I dunno if we can get going early enough though. I have been trying to organize a convoy of Colorado folks to drive together to Moab on Sunday the 5th. I think Crunch, BLoose, Dave Peters and possibly Eshel will be included in this convoy. I was thinking we wouldn't realistically get out of town until 10 am though. I doubt we could make it up to 21 RD with enough time to join you.

My other concern is that I will be leading Steel Bender on Tuesday and I don't wanna risk breakage before then.

Jeez, what to do - what to do..........

Well, Crunch was talking about running it with me at Tellico. Why can't you guys get your act together and head over Sat. night and camp out? You live 4.5 hrs. away and you've never done this trail :rolleyes: How many more excuses can you come up with? Are you not going to run on Mon. either so as not to risk damage? How long do you think it would take us to fix your broken in half heep anyhow :D

I guess I'm gonna have to start hangin' with the west coast contingent, at least they run their own trails :firedevil

Sean

Hmmm... do you want me to come a day or two early, travel the extra hour and come out there to Grand Junction to show ya how it's done? :)
I even know the way out of the back side of the trail without getting lost! :D

Jes

OneTonXJ said:

I guess I'm gonna have to start hangin' with the west coast contingent, at least they run their own trails :firedevil

Sean

And everyone else's trails, too. :D :D

Sean, it must be something about Sunday. CO XJ'ers just don't run 21 Rd on Sunday. ;) :D

Well Sean, I have no good response to your accusations. Guilty as charged! It really should be a crime for a Coloradan to have more 'wheeling time in Moab than in Colorado. I'll work on the wife and see if she'd be game to leave earlier. Gotta see if the neighbors will watch the animals for an extra day too. Maybe BLoose can leave a bit earlier too and join us. I have a feeling that if Dave Peters is in town he'd like to run 21 Rd as well. I'll do what I can to get there!

BTW, I have no doubt the group could get my junk fixed if it did break -- dunno why I'm so worried. Got a trailer and tow rig...... I think I'm just concerned about running 2 solid lockers and 35's. I have visions of my D30 blowing up and I'd be out of commission for the rest of the event. I recently welded the tubes to the housing, trussed it up and reinforced the right UCA mount. I'll have 297's installed too. Whaddya think?

Guess I just need to get out and 'wheel more often to put my concerns to rest!

Troy, plenty of people are running 35's on D30's, just be careful to not get the front tires in a bind, and if you're up against something be real easy on the gas. If you haven't put the 297x shafts in yet, go ahead an replace the c-clips with snap rings, then you should be in real good shape. You'll still have the smaller u-joint shafts for spares, right?

If you're afraid of breaking something, put the 33's back on. :D :D

Hey Troy,

I'm taking those 297 shafts out tomorrow (Monday), and will give a call when to hook up.

I'm gonna call Slickrock and see if I can get my camp sight a couple of days earlier for this 21 road run. If so, I have to try to get my parents to change their minds about coming to see me on those dates.

Gotta wheel like a left coaster.... often and everywhere.

Do those guys have jobs? :D

Crunch

Richard,

Yeah, I hear ya. I've seen lots of guys running the same setup I have and without much problem. I believe that 21 Rd will be the hardest trail I will have ever run and so I don't have much experience with my new setup to base a decision with. I have a very good set of 260 spares ready with the caps spot welded. I was planning on spot welding the caps on the 297's when I get them but, if someone will let me know where to find the snap rings, I'll definitely install those as well. I'm assuming one wouldn't want to spot weld AND snap ring? If I had a set of 33's I prolly would take them along - never had 33's - but it's 35's or nuthin'.

Shari is on board for leaving early too, so I guess I'll have to man-up and get my junk out there to run it with Sean's group!

Well, the snap rings are supposedly a metric one. Richard knows the part # for them. I run 1" snap rings on mine and thought they fit fine.

Well, I'm glad to hear you are gonna pony up and get and run. We should be able to get a decent group together. The cool thing about that trail is you can make it as hard or easy as you want to. At least, that's the way it was when I ran it. We even had a welding truck come tooling down the road next to the wash and fix a couple of us, talk about slick.

Sean said, "the cool thing about that trail is you can make it as hard or easy as you want" :D :D :D :D

Yeah right :D :D While Sean is around, it's real hard to take the easy line because he wants your junk on the same line his junk takes :D :D :D . Good thing is he is right there for the spot with the welding helmet in one hand and a big rock in the other.

Some of us need a little coaxing from time to time ;) . I don't need much, but when I do, Sean is right there with it.

Some of us are just more fun than others...RIGHT?? :D

Is it too early to start a "Things to be finished before Moab" thread? It might help people remember how little time there is to get things like front suspension redesigns and 1/4 eliptic rears and D60 installs completed.

Chomping at the bit,
Crunch

Too little of time, what are you talking about? I've got 3 ring gears at the grinder's right now, shoulda had 'em back. I need to call the guy tomorrow.

Mike, actually I've never brought a welding helmet. Two pairs of sunglasses works really well though :D

Back