• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny wont shift gears once in 4-Lo

ruggedjeep

NAXJA Forum User
It shifts fine in 4-hi but when i put it into 4-low just revs really high and doesnt shift out of 1st gear. Spoke to a tranny shop they said its a speed sensor on my Tcase... Had them check it out they said the solenoids were fine and so was the speed senor... whatelse should i look at?

uh...i'm no expert, but you're not supposed to go over 15 mph in 4lo. My own personal preference is to stay in 1st, keep it in 1-2 for a crawl. d for a little more speed. put your transmission into n and shift into 4hi if you want a little more speed. 4hi is usually adequate for most obstacles. 4lo is great though.

Mine must be busted too as it doesn't shift in 4 LO. JUST KIDDING. You're NOT trying to use 4LO from DRIVE are you??

4 LO is for crawling up hill slowly. Based on your description, You probably have a 231 and an AW4?? You seldom need that gear. 4 Hi will handle most obstacles. It uses the drive position. 4 LO the 1-2 and 3 positions.

Anyone else chime in please if I'm wrong

Rocketman said:
4 LO is for crawling up hill slowly. Based on your description, You probably have a 231 and an AW4?? You seldom need that gear. 4 Hi will handle most obstacles.
Anyone else chime in please if I'm wrong
Don't really know what the problem is, but 4L is used rather often on the trails out here :D

Kejtar said:
Don't really know what the problem is, but 4L is used rather often on the trails out here :D

Yeah im almost always in 4L when im on a trail. Unless im on a dirt road or steep hill climb where speed in necessary, i keep my speed slow and stay steady on the throttle.

The only thing I can think of is the speed sensor wires are being pinched by the T/C shift linkage. I don't think there is any other comunication between the two other than that. Is your speedometer still working in 4-low? It not working would be a good indcation of the speed sensor being out of the loop. Also you should always use 4-low when off roading (unless cercemstances require 4-high). It is much easier on the drivetrain biggest thing being the tranny.

ruggedjeep said:
your right, you're no expert.. anyone else with any advice..
I´m no expert either (though I have been wheeling for 50 or so years). If you depress the pedal all the way, the TV isn´t gonna want to let it upshift. Real easy, to over rev it and have the TV delay shifts in 4 lo. Try backing off the gas pedal and see if it shifts. The throttle (TPS) is gonna have to be opened far enough and the TV closed enough, to let it shift, there may be some overlap, that´s not letting it shift. I´d try accelrating, very gradually and see what happens.
I don´t have an OBD II XJ to try out, but I wouldn´t put it past the designers, to program the computer and/or design the valve body, to save the drivetrain.

Oppinions are like exhaust openings, most everybody has one.

Last edited:
This is dumb but I gotta know

My 231 has absolutely zero wires hooked to anything. Granted its old (out of an 87 MJ) The only thing I have touching the t-case besides the linkage is the speedo cable. My wire harness from my 89 wouldn't work so I left it unhooked. (I don't need the lights on the dash to tell me I am in 4 lo) Never been a problem. When the hell did a speed sensor come into the ballgame?

Back